Eating and drinking on Kilimanjaro
Good food and plenty of drinking water are essential ingredients, both physically and psychologically, to make your climb rewarding. At high altitudes, drinking a lot of water is essential for your health and helps preventing altitude sicknesses. It goes without saying that your body will also need plenty of food to compensate for the unusual physical effort in climbing.
We provide you with plenty of both. You will be surprised by our professionally trained cooks who can serve up the best cuisine on Kilimanjaro, using the freshest and highest quality ingredients.
Of course, if you have special dietary requests (e.g. vegetarian), we are happy to cater for this as well, as long as you let us know in advance.
Our mountain cuisine normally includes the following:
- Three hearty meals a day + snacks upon arrival in camp. Our new menus have been developed by a professional cook who has trained staff in up-market safari bush camps where equipment and resources are minimal. We produce and prepare a majority of our food in our base kitchen, for delicious and energizing meals necessary for high altitude mountain trekking.
- Specialty food like dried fruits, chocolates and cheeses.
- We have designed our own mountain cool boxes to keep foods fresh.
- Homemade cookies and breads, produced in our own kitchen.
- Menu training is constant, and each climb travels with a set recipe book written in kiswahili, laminated with photos of each dish of each meal. These measures ensure that standards stay high, and we always are constantly monitoring for quality of produce and consistency.