The ascent of Ol Doinyo Lengai is usually done during the night and is pretty strenuous: 4 to 6 hours straight up a steep slope. Although porters carry a lot of our luggage these still are the toughest hours of the whole tour: the trail is narrow, steep and dusty (therefore a bit slippery as well), but never dangerous.
The 2-4 hours descend along the same trail is equally strenous; caution is necessary especially on steepest part - people with problems with their knees should NOT undertake it! Walking sticks are recommended. By the time you get down, it will be hot, you will be covered with dust and probably be exhausted... but a refreshing shower is already waiting for you!
The days on the summit itself are very easy in terms of walking around, but it can be dusty, cold and wet.
The two transfer days can be bumpy, dusty and hot, but are not strenuous.
The tour starts and ends in Arusha, a friendly, mid-sized town that is the main starting point for excursions in the area. You can easily combine the trek to Lengai with other activities (see extension programs). To get to Tanzania, convenient airports to fly in are:
- Kilimanjaro International (30 miles or 1-1,5 hr minibus ride to Arusha)
- Nairobi (5 hours minibus ride to Arusha, involves an easy border crossing and an extra night in Nairobi on the return travel)
- Dar-es-Salaam (9 hour bus ride to Arusha, or domestic Air Tanzania flight to Kilimanjaro International).
On request, we will be happy to help you with your individual travel arrangements, including transfers and possibly necessary accommodation e.g. in Nairobi; depending on your departure airport, we can offer to find airfare for you at very competetive rates. Please contact us!
Accommodation is based on double room or tent occupancy shared by the same sex (unless this is no problem or requested).
• Camping at Lake Natron: a comfortable well-equipped camping site with fresh running water, a bar, basic toilet facilities but suplebly located and well managed.
• Camping on Lengai volcano (1-3 days): On Ol Doinyo Lengai we stay in the inactive, vegetated northern crater right next to the active southern crater (10-15 min. walking distance). Basic camping is the only option here, but we have our own spacious, modern mountain tents (but of course, no shower and toilet tent available...)
• Accommodation in Arusha: your choice, but we recommend l'Oasis Lodge, a comfortable small hotel with clean, spacious rooms, a swimming pool, an excellent restaurant and modern facilities near the city center