Get our newsletter!
Check out our volcano tours on VolcanoAdventures.com!
Volcanoes & Earthquakes - new app for Android
Guaranteed tours
8-16 May 2021: From Stromboli to Etna - Sicila and Eolian Islands (Italy)
: spaces available / : guaranteed / : few spaces left / : booked out

Interactive map of latest earthquakes and active volcanoes in the world

M7.5 earthquake - 102km W of Craig, Alaska, Saturday, 5 January 2013 at 08:58 (GMT)

Major mag. 7.5 earthquake - 94km W of Craig, Alaska on Saturday, 5 January 2013

Major mag. 7.5 earthquake  - 94km W of Craig, Alaska on Saturday, 5 January 2013
5 Jan 09:15 UTC: First to report: USGS after 18 minutes.
Date & time: Saturday, 5 January 2013 08:58 UTC
Local time at epicenter: Fri, 4 Jan 2013 23:58
Magnitude: 7.5
Depth: 9.8 km
Epicenter latitude / longitude: 55.368°N / 134.621°W (Alaska, United States)
Nearest volcano: Tlevak Strait-Suemez Is. (91 km / 57 mi)
Nearby towns and cities:
98 km (61 mi) S of Port Alexander (pop: 100)
133 km (83 mi) SW of Coffman Cove (pop: 200)
184 km (114 mi) SW of Kake (pop: 600)
188 km (117 mi) W of Ketchikan (pop: 8,200)
191 km (119 mi) SW of Petersburg (pop: 2,900)
193 km (120 mi) SE of Sitka (pop: 8,900)
Primary data source: USGS
Estimated released energy: 1.1 x 1016 joules (3117 gigawatt hours, equivalent to 2.7 x 106 tons of TNT or 167.6 atomic bombs!) [learn more]
If you felt this quake (or if you were near the epicenter), please share your experience and submit a short "I felt it" report! Other users would love to hear about it!
Also if you did NOT feel the quake although you were in the area, please report it! Your contribution is valuable also to earthquake science and earthquake hazard analysis and mitigation efforts. You can use your device location or the map to indicate where you were during the earthquake. Thank you!

Data for the same earthquake reported by different agencies

Info: The more agencies report about the same quake and post similar data, the more confidence you can have in the data. It takes normally up to a few hours until earthquake parameters are calculated with near-optimum precision.
TimeMag. / DepthLocationSource
Fri, 4 Jan 2013 23:58 (5 Jan 08:58:19 UTC)M 7.5 / 9.8 km94km W of Craig, AlaskaUSGS
Sat, 5 Jan 08:58 UTCM 7.5 / 10 kmSOUTHEASTERN ALASKAEMSC
Sat, 5 Jan 08:58 UTCM 7.5 / 10 kmSoutheastern AlaskaGFZ
Sat, 5 Jan 08:58 UTCM 7.5 / 10 kmSoutheastern AlaskaGeoAu
Sat, 5 Jan 08:58 UTCM 7.5 / 10 km209 Km S of Sitka,AK.NRCAN

shake map
(shakemap: USGS)

User reports for this quake (21)

User reports estimate the perceived ground shaking intensity according to the MMI (Modified Mercalli Intensity) scale.
Contribute:
Leave a comment if you find a particular report interesting or want to add to it.
Flag as inappropriate.
Mark as helpful or interesting.
Send your own user report!
minster, Oh / not felt
juneau / Moderate shaking (MMI V) : Furniture banging against wall and door was swinging back and forth. Started as back and forth shaking followed by circular or wave-like movement which created a seasick-like feeling.
Whitehorse, Yukon / Light shaking (MMI IV)
Smithers BC / Light shaking (MMI IV) : 1:02 AM heard creaking and a low rumble. Felt a slight disorienting shift of the house and a sway of lights and hanging plants. Lasted about 20 seconds (maybe a little more)
Juneau, AK / Moderate shaking (MMI V) : Whole house swayed, and heard knocking on the sides of the house in the rhythm of the swaying
Juneau, AK / Moderate shaking (MMI V) : My boyfriend and I were watching a movie in bed and at first I thought he was playing a joke by moving his feet to make the bed shake, but then the shaking got stronger and hangers in the closet started swaying and the bed started swaying. You could hear the rumbling of the earth shaking and our whole apartment building swayed for some time after the quake had ended. It was an awesome experience!
Juneau, Alaska near Mendenhall glacier. / Moderate shaking (MMI V) : Definitely moderate in my location but much larger in downtown area.
petersburg,alaska / Light shaking (MMI IV) : woke me up at local time 23:58...houses in this part of the world ,like mine,are built on pilings..rattled the place good, no damage
Juneau, Alaska / Light shaking (MMI IV) : My bedroom was moving back and forth. I take sleeping pills so I was in a deep sleep but this one woke me up at midnight.
Raymond, Wisconsin / Very weak shaking (MMI II) : My husband and I were asleep when a slight vibration was felt by both of us. It woke both of us up from a sound sleep. I lookedd at the clock and it was 10:57. Could this be related to the earthquack in Alaska?
Juneau AK / Moderate shaking (MMI V) : Woke me up, 3 friends called. Just after midnight
Ketchikan, alaska / Moderate shaking (MMI V) : Woke me out of a dead sleep, and groggily tried to figure out why the room was swaying.
Coffman cove ak / Strong shaking (MMI VI) : Was in deep REM sleep,sat up in bed asked my wife what was going on? She told me someone was doing aload of laundry, the washer was out of balance
Tlell, Queen Charlotte Islands / Moderate shaking (MMI V) : The dog went around the house 10 minutes before shaking trying to wake up kids and myself, crying and barking. Shaking that made one want to sit down and brace self. The hanging chandeliers swung about 4 to 6 inches out and around in a circle. Items on counters shook, dogs water shook and some sloped out. Lasted maybe 40 seconds to a minute with waves after that made me feel like I was on a boat.
Ketchikan, Alaska / Weak shaking (MMI III) : In bed, felt bed shaking lightly for about 30 seconds.
petersburg / Very strong shaking (MMI VII) : Woke me from my sleep. House swaying and rattling. Stained glass and vases in window shaking with some cupboard thrown open
Sitka ak / Light shaking (MMI IV)
(Canada, 1771 km E of epicenter) : I was initially confused about what was happening as I had jsut sat down to work on my computer. I heard a rumbling and then felt the house shake as it sometimes does when we experience gusting winds above 60 mph. but there was no wind noise and the roof did not rattle as it does with the wind. My dogs which normally do not like to be outdoors for more than a half hour had to be bribed to come in the house after being out all day. They had taken refuge under my cabin cruiser and almost refused to come out from there until hunger overtook them. This would have been starting about 12 hours before the quake and they came in about 3 hours before the quake. (reported through EMSC)
Whitehorse (Canada, 606 km NW of epicenter) : Felt like wave after wave,both on the suports of the trailer and as well while sitting in trailer. Items that were susended swung and lasted longer than the wave like feelings could be felt. (reported through EMSC)
Juneau (United States, 337 km N of epicenter) : it got stronger as the seconds went by and was hard to stay balanced as I went to wake my husband up. We stayed in our room until it passed and then went to see what had fallen off the shelves, nothing was broken. Plant and hanging lights were still swaying about 2 to 3 minutes longer maybe more as I came to the computer. (reported through EMSC)

Aftershocks of the 7.5 quake: 94km W of Craig, Alaska, 5 Jan 2013 08:58

11 km (7 mi) distance
    | NRCAN | Details
  • 31 Jan 2013 09:53 UTC
    | M 6.0 |
    9.7 km (6 mi) depth
    25 km (16 mi) distance
    | USGS | Strong mag. 6.0 earthquake - 101km W of Craig, Alaska on Thursday, 31 January 2013
  • 25 Jan 2013 13:36 UTC
    | USGS | Details
  • 14 Jan 2013 14:55 UTC
    | M 5.5 |
    11.9 km (7.4 mi) depth
    24 km (15 mi) distance
    | USGS | Details

Earlier earthquakes in the same area

Major mag. 7.5 earthquake - 94km W of Craig, Alaska on Saturday, 5 January 2013

More on VolcanoDiscovery

Why is there advertising on this site?

Support us!

Maintaining the website and our free apps is a time- and cost-intensive effort.
If you find the information useful and would like to support our team to develop further features and get the upgraded ad-free version, consider making a donation (PayPal or Online cc payment).
Planned features:
  • Weather reports
  • Tsunami alerts
  • Design upgrades
Thanks to your past donations, these features have been added recently:
  • Earthquake archive back to 1900
  • Additional data sources
Download and Upgrade the Volcanoes & Earthquakes app to get one of the fastest seismic and volcano alerts online:
Android | IOS
Thank you!
Copyrights: VolcanoDiscovery and other sources as noted.
Use of material: Most texts and images, in particular photographs, on this website are protected by copyright. Further reproduction and use of without authorization is usually not consented. If you are not sure or need licensing rights for photographs, for example for publications and commercial use, please contact us.
Home | Travel | Destinations | Volcanoes | Photos | Earthquakes | About | Glossary | News | Contact | Privacy | Imprint || Français | Deutsch