Get our newsletter!
Check out our volcano tours on VolcanoAdventures.com!
Volcanoes & Earthquakes - new app for Android
Guaranteed tours
8-16 May 2021: From Stromboli to Etna - Sicila and Eolian Islands (Italy)
: spaces available / : guaranteed / : few spaces left / : booked out

Interactive map of latest earthquakes and active volcanoes in the world

Strong mag. 6.1 earthquake - 97km WNW of Willow, Alaska on Thursday, 25 September 2014

Strong mag. 6.2 earthquake - 95km WNW of Willow, Alaska on Thursday, 25 September 2014

Strong mag. 6.2 earthquake  - 95km WNW of Willow, Alaska on Thursday, 25 September 2014
25 Sep 17:55 UTC: First to report: USGS after 4 minutes.
Hypocenter depth recalculated from 101.7 to 102.8 km.
Date & time: Thursday, 25 September 2014 17:51 UTC
Local time at epicenter: Thursday, September 25, 2014 09:51:17
Magnitude: 6.2
Depth: 102.8 km
Epicenter latitude / longitude: 61.9527°N / 151.7849°W (Alaska, United States)
Nearest volcano: Hayes (50 km / 31 mi)
Nearby towns and cities:
90 km (56 mi) SW of Trapper Creek (pop: 500)
94 km (59 mi) NW of Willow (pop: 2,100)
96 km (60 mi) SW of Talkeetna (pop: 900)
125 km (78 mi) NW of Knik-Fairview (pop: 14,900)
129 km (80 mi) NW of Anchorage (pop: 298,700)
137 km (85 mi) NW of Eagle River (pop: 24,800)
Primary data source: USGS
Estimated released energy: 1.3 x 1014 joules (35 gigawatt hours, equivalent to 30089 tons of TNT or 1.9 atomic bombs!) [learn more]
If you felt this quake (or if you were near the epicenter), please share your experience and submit a short "I felt it" report! Other users would love to hear about it!
Also if you did NOT feel the quake although you were in the area, please report it! Your contribution is valuable also to earthquake science and earthquake hazard analysis and mitigation efforts. You can use your device location or the map to indicate where you were during the earthquake. Thank you!

Data for the same earthquake reported by different agencies

Info: The more agencies report about the same quake and post similar data, the more confidence you can have in the data. It takes normally up to a few hours until earthquake parameters are calculated with near-optimum precision.
TimeMag. / DepthLocationSource
Thursday, September 25, 2014 09:51:17 (25 Sep 17:51:17 UTC)M 6.2 / 102.8 km95km WNW of Willow, AlaskaUSGS
Thu, 25 Sep 17:51 UTCM 6.0 / 100 kmCentral AlaskaGFZ
Thu, 25 Sep 17:51 UTCM 6.2 / 102 kmSOUTHERN ALASKAEMSC
Thu, 25 Sep 17:51 UTCM 6.2 / 103 kmNW of Willow, AlaskaGeoAu

shake map
(shakemap: USGS)

User reports for this quake (28)

User reports estimate the perceived ground shaking intensity according to the MMI (Modified Mercalli Intensity) scale.
Contribute:
Leave a comment if you find a particular report interesting or want to add to it.
Flag as inappropriate.
Mark as helpful or interesting.
Send your own user report!
Knik, Alaska / Moderate shaking (MMI V)
Pittman Road, Wasilla, AK (122.8 km ESE of epicenter) [Map] / Moderate shaking (MMI V) : Was in bed. Felt like vibrating bed
James Drive, Anchorage, AK (138 km SE of epicenter) [Map] / Moderate shaking (MMI V)
Hatcher's Pass Willow Alaska / Moderate shaking (MMI V) : I was talking on the phone to my girlfriend and all of the sudden I felt a large jolt. And then the whole house began to shake!! I knew immediately that this quake was a little stronger than average. I live on the Hatcher's pass and she was in Big lake about 40 miles away .I felt it first and shortly after she did so I knew it had hit closer to us in Willow it was very strong and held that intensity for the duration of the quake. Mr defiantly an attention getter. !!
Hatcher's Pass Willow Alaska / Very strong shaking (MMI VII) : I was talking on the phone to my girlfriend and all of the sudden I felt a large jolt. And then the whole house began to shake!! I knew immediately that this quake was a little stronger than average. I live on the Hatcher's pass and she was in Big lake about 40 miles away .I felt it first and shortly after she did so I knew it had hit closer to us in Willow it was very strong and held that intensity for the duration of the quake. Mr defiantly an attention getter. !!
Wasilla, Alaska near Ron Larson Elementary / not felt : I live in Wasilla - & I did not actually FEEL movement yesterday when the earthquake was going on, but I certainly knew it was a quake - I heard a lot of rumbling & rattling of things & the hanging light fixture was swaying; though I think the rumbling was from outside? It lasted a long time, though (for me) - around a minute. Today is Friday evening around 8:04pm; & I was working on an email when I FELT a sway & heard the noise of another one about 9/so minutes ago - I suppose that would be
Anchorage Alaska / Strong shaking (MMI VI)
Ingelheim Germany / Violent shaking (MMI IX) : I was at the airport on my way home to Germany . First a litter shatter, than the typical rolling. Unmistakebel. Everybody was very relaxed about it.
Bradenton Florida 34$07 / Violent shaking (MMI IX)
Wasilla / Very strong shaking (MMI VII)
Palmer, Alaska / Moderate shaking (MMI V) : House was shaking. lamps jumping and moving out of place. mirrors moving. light fixtures swinging. earths movement ecalated. walls and roof made creking and moaning sounds. we took cover under sturdy furniture.
Anchorage, AK / Violent shaking (MMI IX) : At conference, people very alarm.
Fairbanks / Light shaking (MMI IV) : Woke me up from my sleep.
4603 n. Pittman rd, Wasilla,AK (125.8 km ESE of epicenter) [Map] / Light shaking (MMI IV) : First was very weak stopped and next one was worse, shook for quite a few seconds, light fixtures swayed, the whole upstairs swayed, thought window was going to burst, cupboards rattled.
Anchorage Alaska (131.1 km SE of epicenter) [Map] / Moderate shaking (MMI V) : Good roller! I'm in an apartment (2nd story) with very few fixtures/furniture, but I felt the whole building rolling. Lasted much longer than the Hawaii quakes I've become accustomed to.
JBER (134.6 km SE of epicenter) [Map] / Moderate shaking (MMI V) : JBER
Anchorage (128.9 km SE of epicenter) [Map] / Moderate shaking (MMI V)
Eagle River / Moderate shaking (MMI V) : My first real earthquake here. I am still shaking.
Anchorage Ak 99516 / Moderate shaking (MMI V) : The shaking lasted about 45 seconds, no wind but I observed trees swaying and leaves falling. Short sharp first event(10 seconds) followed a few seconds later by longer secondary shaking ( 30 seconds). I heard something fall in the house but haven't discovered what it was yet .
JBER ak / Moderate shaking (MMI V)
JBER / Moderate shaking (MMI V)
Knik, AK / Severe shaking (MMI VIII) : I was lying in bed and the earth started to rumble and shake! My mirrored wardrobe closets were shaking and vibrating uncontrollably. This went on for apx 15 seconds, it was very scary!
Chickaloon, AK 99674 (2723.2 km ESE of epicenter) [Map] / Moderate shaking (MMI V) : Very definite shaking, although nothing fell off the shelves.
Chugiak, AK (137.1 km ESE of epicenter) [Map] / Moderate shaking (MMI V)
Providence medical center Anchorage / Very strong shaking (MMI VII)
Palmer alaska / Strong shaking (MMI VI)
Athens (Greece, 8917 km E of epicenter) : How is it possible to disregard this ? 2014-09-25, 16:33:58 UTC --- 37.65 N, 15.10 E --- Ml:3.3 Etna (reported through EMSC)

Aftershocks of the 6.2 quake: 95km WNW of Willow, Alaska, 25 Sep 2014 17:51

49 km (30 mi) distance
  • 01 Jan 2015 11:25 UTC
    | M 2.5 |
    95.1 km (59.1 mi) depth
    13 km (8 mi) distance
    | USGS | Details

Earlier earthquakes in the same area

More on VolcanoDiscovery

Why is there advertising on this site?

Support us!

Maintaining the website and our free apps is a time- and cost-intensive effort.
If you find the information useful and would like to support our team to develop further features and get the upgraded ad-free version, consider making a donation (PayPal or Online cc payment).
Planned features:
  • Weather reports
  • Tsunami alerts
  • Design upgrades
Thanks to your past donations, these features have been added recently:
  • Earthquake archive back to 1900
  • Additional data sources
Download and Upgrade the Volcanoes & Earthquakes app to get one of the fastest seismic and volcano alerts online:
Android | IOS
Thank you!
Copyrights: VolcanoDiscovery and other sources as noted.
Use of material: Most texts and images, in particular photographs, on this website are protected by copyright. Further reproduction and use of without authorization is usually not consented. If you are not sure or need licensing rights for photographs, for example for publications and commercial use, please contact us.
Home | Travel | Destinations | Volcanoes | Photos | Earthquakes | About | Glossary | News | Contact | Privacy | Imprint || Français | Deutsch