Get our newsletter!
Check out our volcano tours on VolcanoAdventures.com!
Volcanoes & Earthquakes - new app for Android
Guaranteed tours
10-18 Oct 2020: From Stromboli to Etna - Sicila and Eolian Islands (Italy)
: spaces available / : guaranteed / : few spaces left / : booked out

Interactive map of latest earthquakes and active volcanoes in the world

Major mag. 7.0 earthquake - Northern Molucca Sea on Saturday, 15 November 2014

Major mag. 7.0 earthquake - Northern Molucca Sea on Saturday, 15 November 2014

Major mag. 7.0 earthquake  - Northern Molucca Sea on Saturday, 15 November 2014
15 Nov 02:35 UTC: First to report: GFZ after 3 minutes.
Nov 15 03:10: Magnitude recalculated from 7.1 to 7.0.
Hypocenter depth recalculated from 59.0 to 53.0 km.
Date & time: Saturday, 15 November 2014 02:31 UTC
Magnitude: 7.0
Depth: 53.0 km
Epicenter latitude / longitude: 1.98°N / 126.48°E (Indonesia)
Nearest volcano: Ruang (123 km / 76 mi)
Nearby towns and cities:
155 km (96 mi) NE of Bitung (pop: 137,400)
166 km (103 mi) NW of Ternate (pop: 101,700)
172 km (107 mi) W of Tobelo (pop: 10,000)
176 km (109 mi) NE of Laikit, Laikit II (Dimembe) (pop: 8,000)
190 km (118 mi) NE of Manado (pop: 451,900)
2363 km (1469 mi) NE of Jakarta (pop: 8,540,100)
Primary data source: GFZ
Estimated released energy: 2 x 1015 joules (554 gigawatt hours, equivalent to 4.8 x 105 tons of TNT or 29.8 atomic bombs!) [learn more]
If you felt this quake (or if you were near the epicenter), please share your experience and submit a short "I felt it" report! Other users would love to hear about it!
Also if you did NOT feel the quake although you were in the area, please report it! Your contribution is valuable also to earthquake science and earthquake hazard analysis and mitigation efforts. You can use your device location or the map to indicate where you were during the earthquake. Thank you!

Data for the same earthquake reported by different agencies

Info: The more agencies report about the same quake and post similar data, the more confidence you can have in the data. It takes normally up to a few hours until earthquake parameters are calculated with near-optimum precision.
TimeMag. / DepthLocationSource
Sat, 15 Nov 02:31 UTCM 7.0 / 53 kmNorthern Molucca SeaGFZ
Sat, 15 Nov 02:31 UTCM 7.1 / 51 km MOLUCCA SEAEMSC
Sat, 15 Nov 02:31 UTCM 7.1 / 35 km156km NW of Kota Ternate, IndonesiaUSGS
Sat, 15 Nov 02:31 UTCM 7.3 / 68 kmNorthern Molucca SeaGeoAu

shake map
(shakemap: USGS)

User reports for this quake

User reports estimate the perceived ground shaking intensity according to the MMI (modified Mercalli) scale.
Contribute:
Leave a comment if you find a particular report interesting or want to add to it.
Flag as inappropriate.
Mark as helpful or interesting.
Send your own experience report!
Sweden,Eskilstuna / Very strong shaking (MMI VII) : I felt the 12.11.2014 between the hours of 11:00 to 23:00 with severe headache, vertigo with rocking sensitive. And I live in Sweden. My doctor does not believe me that I can feel them heavy blows days before between 12 to 72 hours and I get them only on the left side of the head.
Sweden, Eskilstuna / Very strong shaking (MMI VII) : I felt the 11/12/2014 between the hours of 1100 to 2300 but severe headache, vertigo with rocking sensitive. And I live in Sweden. My doctor does not believe me that I can feel them heavy blows and I get them only on the left side of the head.
Minahasa Utara, North Sulawesi / Moderate shaking (MMI V)
takengon / not felt
takengon / not felt
singapore / Violent shaking (MMI IX)
Manado, North Sulawesi / Weak shaking (MMI III) : when the earthquake attack,, I was in classroom on 3rd floor, suddenly, I hear the sound of tables, door, shakes, hit each other, we run out, go down,, that's very scary,, we all panic,, we starts to worrying about the tsunami potential,,, after that, we back to the class, and the following earthquakes stil happen,, when I write this,, there are many following earthquakes,, but not to strong as the first. sorry my english not good
Manado International School / Weak shaking (MMI III)
lembeh strait / Bitung? / Moderate shaking (MMI V)
lembeh strait / Bitung? / Moderate shaking (MMI V)
manado / Strong shaking (MMI VI)
Manado / Strong shaking (MMI VI)
Chennai (India, 5244 km W of epicenter) : i felt before 10 hrs (reported through EMSC)
Manado (Indonesia, 193 km W of epicenter) : I was sitting down watching movie and the sofa (with me and my hubby) on it was shaking hardly. The door and windows were rattling loudly... It's around 30 to 60 minutes... Everyone in the neighborhood were running outside. The worse part is knowing that it's still continued with the other earthquakes until now... When it will stop? (reported through EMSC)
Gorontalo (Indonesia, 412 km W of epicenter) : Vibration was quite loud on the 2nd floor.. (reported through EMSC)
Manado (Indonesia, 190 km W of epicenter) : The quake felt strong 7 second. many people was panic. The quake VI MMI (reported through EMSC)

Aftershocks of the 7.0 quake: Northern Molucca Sea, 15 Nov 2014 02h31

29 km (18 mi) distance
    | GFZ | Details

Map of aftershocks

Significant earthquakes in the same area since 1900

Major mag. 7.0 earthquake - Northern Molucca Sea on Saturday, 15 November 2014

More on VolcanoDiscovery

Why is there advertising on this site?

Support us!

Maintaining the website and our free apps is a time- and cost-intensive effort.
If you find the information useful and would like to support our team to develop further features and get the upgraded ad-free version, consider making a donation (PayPal or Online cc payment).
Planned features:
  • Weather reports
  • Tsunami alerts
  • Design upgrades
Thanks to your past donations, these features have been added recently:
  • Earthquake archive back to 1900
  • Additional data sources
Download and Upgrade the Volcanoes & Earthquakes app to get one of the fastest seismic and volcano alerts online:
Android | IOS
Thank you!
Copyrights: VolcanoDiscovery and other sources as noted.
Use of material: Most texts and images, in particular photographs, on this website are protected by copyright. Further reproduction and use of without authorization is usually not consented. If you are not sure or need licensing rights for photographs, for example for publications and commercial use, please contact us.
Home | Travel | Destinations | Volcanoes | Photos | Earthquakes | About | Glossary | News | Contact | Privacy | Imprint || Français | Deutsch