Get our newsletter!
Check out our volcano tours on VolcanoAdventures.com!
Volcanoes & Earthquakes - new app for Android
Guaranteed tours
8-16 May 2021: From Stromboli to Etna - Sicila and Eolian Islands (Italy)
: spaces available / : guaranteed / : few spaces left / : booked out

Interactive map of latest earthquakes and active volcanoes in the world

Strong mag. 6.2 earthquake - Java, Indonesia on Wednesday, 6 April 2016

Strong mag. 6.0 earthquake - Java, Indonesia on Wednesday, 6 April 2016

Strong mag. 6.0 earthquake  - Java, Indonesia on Wednesday, 6 April 2016
6 Apr 14:49 UTC: First to report: GFZ after 3 minutes.
Apr 6 14:50: Magnitude recalculated from 6.2 to 6.1.
Apr 6 14:51: Magnitude recalculated from 6.1 to 6.0.
Apr 6 14:52: Magnitude recalculated from 6.0 to 5.9.
Hypocenter depth recalculated from 10.0 to 58.0 km.
Hypocenter depth recalculated from 58.0 to 62.0 km.
Hypocenter depth recalculated from 62.0 to 58.0 km.
Hypocenter depth recalculated from 58.0 to 54.0 km.
Hypocenter depth recalculated from 54.0 to 61.0 km.
Apr 6 15:48: Magnitude recalculated from 5.9 to 6.0.
Date & time: Wednesday, 6 April 2016 14:45 UTC
Magnitude: 6.0
Depth: 61.0 km
Epicenter latitude / longitude: 8.07°S / 107.41°E (Indonesia)
Nearest volcano: Papandayan (115 km / 71 mi)
Nearby towns and cities:
97 km (60 mi) S of Banjar (pop: 37,300)
111 km (69 mi) SW of Singaparna (pop: 48,900)
114 km (71 mi) SW of Paseh (pop: 126,200)
129 km (80 mi) S of Bandung (pop: 1,699,700)
197 km (122 mi) SE of Depok (pop: 1,198,100)
216 km (134 mi) SE of Jakarta (pop: 8,540,100)
Primary data source: GFZ
Estimated released energy: 6.3 x 1013 joules (17.5 gigawatt hours, equivalent to 15080 tons of TNT or 0.9 atomic bombs!) [learn more]
If you felt this quake (or if you were near the epicenter), please share your experience and submit a short "I felt it" report! Other users would love to hear about it!
Also if you did NOT feel the quake although you were in the area, please report it! Your contribution is valuable also to earthquake science and earthquake hazard analysis and mitigation efforts. You can use your device location or the map to indicate where you were during the earthquake. Thank you!

Data for the same earthquake reported by different agencies

Info: The more agencies report about the same quake and post similar data, the more confidence you can have in the data. It takes normally up to a few hours until earthquake parameters are calculated with near-optimum precision.
TimeMag. / DepthLocationSource
Wed, 6 Apr 14:45 UTCM 6.0 / 61 kmJava, IndonesiaGFZ
Wed, 6 Apr 14:45 UTCM 6.0 / 74 kmJAVA, INDONESIAEMSC
Wed, 6 Apr 14:45 UTCM 6.2 / 80.9 kmJawa, Indonesia [Sea]INGV
2016-04-06 21:45:30 +07:00 (6 Apr 14:45:30 UTC)M 6.0 / 35.4 km- 68km SSW of Bunisari, IndonesiaUSGS

shake map
(shakemap: USGS)

User reports for this quake (29)

User reports estimate the perceived ground shaking intensity according to the MMI (Modified Mercalli Intensity) scale.
Contribute:
Leave a comment if you find a particular report interesting or want to add to it.
Flag as inappropriate.
Mark as helpful or interesting.
Send your own user report!
Lembang / Light shaking (MMI IV) : I was lay down on my bed then suddenly my cupboard shook for about 15 second. I asked my sister and she felt it too. I suddenly went outside and my neighbors already at the outside too
Bandung (132.1 km NNE of epicenter) [Map] / Weak shaking (MMI III) : Felt indoor (reported through our app)
Cilacap (180.8 km ENE of epicenter) [Map] / Light shaking (MMI IV) (reported through our app)
Bandung, Cihampelas / Strong shaking (MMI VI) : I'm staying in apartment 19th floor and I feel it strong. Balcony door was shaking, my computer, chair and me, lamp. After happen, we used emergency exit stairs to run outside, many people did the same also. And now waiting outside still, no dare to back to room
Bandung / Very weak shaking (MMI II) : I felt the bed is shaking
bandung (127.9 km N of epicenter) [Map] / Light shaking (MMI IV) (reported through our app)
bandung (132.7 km N of epicenter) [Map] / Weak shaking (MMI III) (reported through our app)
Bandung (128.7 km NNE of epicenter) [Map] / Light shaking (MMI IV) : About 10 seconds of vibration.
Bandung West Java (128 km NNE of epicenter) [Map] / Moderate shaking (MMI V) (reported through our app)
Bandung (131 km NNE of epicenter) [Map] / Weak shaking (MMI III) : I just felt earthquakes, my laptop shook for about 3 seconds (reported through our app)
Jakarta / Light shaking (MMI IV)
Antapani, Bandung (131.4 km NNE of epicenter) [Map] / Weak shaking (MMI III) (reported through our app)
bandung (126.8 km N of epicenter) [Map] / Light shaking (MMI IV) (reported through our app)
Bandung Barat / Weak shaking (MMI III) : Hanging object swing
Jakarta (208.9 km NNW of epicenter) [Map] / Very weak shaking (MMI II)
Bandung (134.4 km N of epicenter) [Map] / Moderate shaking (MMI V) (reported through our app)
(Indonesia, 232 km E of epicenter) : I can felt it just 3 second (reported through EMSC)
(Indonesia, 213 km NW of epicenter) : I live on top floor of 200m high building so would be more prone to feeling it than people lower down (reported through EMSC)
(Indonesia, 208 km NW of epicenter) : My hanging light was moving like pendulum (reported through EMSC)
Depok (Indonesia, 191 km NW of epicenter) : During time I was taking rest on bed and suddenly feel that my bed was shacking for a moment during time could not recognized. (reported through EMSC)
(Indonesia, 182 km NW of epicenter) : Small shaking like water inglass (reported through EMSC)
Cirebon (Indonesia, 173 km NE of epicenter) : Terasa getarannya hingga cirebon. namun, terasa lemah. Getarannya seperti kereta lewat. (reported through EMSC)
(Indonesia, 111 km N of epicenter) : Ada apa ini? Bergoyang goyang (reported through EMSC)
(Indonesia, 232 km NW of epicenter) : We felt it 3times... (reported through EMSC)
Depok (Indonesia, 202 km NW of epicenter) : As usual, I was at my desk working, sitting on a chair with a large & wide flat metal base in contact with the floor. I felt the chair buck upwards slightly (knew it was unmistakably an earthquake) over maybe a minute in duration, two or three times. I've often felt this sensation as I've lived in the greater Jakarta area for nearly 20 years. It also doesn't seem to affect my cats at all. I immediately checked Twitter to see where it was - I understand distance is important - and won't lose any sleep over it tonight (10pm local time now) but will certainly say a prayer or two for those who are affected. (reported through EMSC)
Sukabumi (Indonesia, 143 km NW of epicenter) : first several seconds the wabve was faint. dissapear then come again (reported through EMSC)
(Indonesia, 135 km N of epicenter) : I saw water in my glass shakes (reported through EMSC)
(Indonesia, 98 km N of epicenter) : Di Garut terasa kencang getarannya, lampu bergoyang kaya bergetar. Saya tengah tertidur lelap dan merasakan guncangan yang cukup lama sekitar 4-5 detik.semua keluarga saya terbangun dari tidur (reported through EMSC)

Aftershocks of the 6.0 quake: Java, Indonesia, 6 Apr 2016 14:45

More info
Recorded aftershocks, latest first (2 quakes):
  • 11 Jun 2016 17:16 UTC
    | M 4.7 |
    61 km (37.9 mi) depth
    36 km (22 mi) distance
    | GFZ | Details
  • 06 Apr 2016 15:04 UTC
    | M 4.7 |
    10 km (6.2 mi) depth
    17 km (10 mi) distance
    | EMSC | Details

Earlier earthquakes in the same area

Strong mag. 6.0 earthquake - Java, Indonesia on Wednesday, 6 April 2016

More on VolcanoDiscovery

Why is there advertising on this site?

Support us!

Maintaining the website and our free apps is a time- and cost-intensive effort.
If you find the information useful and would like to support our team to develop further features and get the upgraded ad-free version, consider making a donation (PayPal or Online cc payment).
Planned features:
  • Weather reports
  • Tsunami alerts
  • Design upgrades
Thanks to your past donations, these features have been added recently:
  • Earthquake archive back to 1900
  • Additional data sources
Download and Upgrade the Volcanoes & Earthquakes app to get one of the fastest seismic and volcano alerts online:
Android | IOS
Thank you!
Copyrights: VolcanoDiscovery and other sources as noted.
Use of material: Most texts and images, in particular photographs, on this website are protected by copyright. Further reproduction and use of without authorization is usually not consented. If you are not sure or need licensing rights for photographs, for example for publications and commercial use, please contact us.
Home | Travel | Destinations | Volcanoes | Photos | Earthquakes | About | Glossary | News | Contact | Privacy | Imprint || Français | Deutsch