Get our newsletter!
Check out our volcano tours on VolcanoAdventures.com!
Volcanoes & Earthquakes - new app for Android
Guaranteed tours
8-16 May 2021: From Stromboli to Etna - Sicila and Eolian Islands (Italy)
: spaces available / : guaranteed / : few spaces left / : booked out

Interactive map of latest earthquakes and active volcanoes in the world

Major mag. 7.0 earthquake - Peru-Brazil Border Region on Friday, 24 August 2018 - information

Major mag. 7.0 earthquake - Peru-Brazil Border Region on Friday, 24 August 2018

Major mag. 7.0 earthquake  - Peru-Brazil Border Region on Friday, 24 August 2018
24 Aug 09:09 UTC: First to report: GFZ after 5 minutes.
Aug 24 09:10: Magnitude recalculated from 6.7 to 6.6.
Hypocenter depth recalculated from 618.0 to 623.0 km.
Aug 24 09:16: Magnitude recalculated from 6.6 to 6.8.
Hypocenter depth recalculated from 623.0 to 612.0 km.
Aug 24 09:18: Magnitude recalculated from 6.8 to 7.0.
Hypocenter depth recalculated from 612.0 to 616.0 km.
Date & time: Friday, 24 August 2018 09:04 UTC
Magnitude: 7.0
Depth: 616.0 km
Epicenter latitude / longitude: 11.02°S / 70.77°W (Peru)
Nearby towns and cities:
691 km (430 mi) E of Lima (pop: 7,737,000)
Primary data source: GFZ
Estimated released energy: 2 x 1015 joules (554 gigawatt hours, equivalent to 4.8 x 105 tons of TNT or 29.8 atomic bombs!) [learn more]
If you felt this quake (or if you were near the epicenter), please share your experience and submit a short "I felt it" report! Other users would love to hear about it!
Also if you did NOT feel the quake although you were in the area, please report it! Your contribution is valuable also to earthquake science and earthquake hazard analysis and mitigation efforts. You can use your device location or the map to indicate where you were during the earthquake. Thank you!

Data for the same earthquake reported by different agencies

Info: The more agencies report about the same quake and post similar data, the more confidence you can have in the data. It takes normally up to a few hours until earthquake parameters are calculated with near-optimum precision.
TimeMag. / DepthLocationSource
Fri, 24 Aug 09:04 UTCM 7.0 / 616 kmPeru-Brazil Border RegionGFZ
Fri, 24 Aug 09:04 UTCM 7.0 / 651 km PERU-BRAZIL BORDER REGIONEMSC
Fri, 24 Aug 09:04 UTCM 6.2 / 610.4 kmPeru-Brazil Border RegionGeoAu
2018-08-24 04:04:06 -05:00 (24 Aug 09:04:06 UTC)M 7.1 / 609.5 km- 138km WNW of Iberia, PeruUSGS

shake map
(shakemap: USGS)

User reports for this quake (28)

User reports estimate the perceived ground shaking intensity according to the MMI (Modified Mercalli Intensity) scale.
Contribute:
Leave a comment if you find a particular report interesting or want to add to it.
Flag as inappropriate.
Mark as helpful or interesting.
Send your own user report!
Bridgetown, Barbados (2963.1 km NNE of epicenter) [Map] / Moderate shaking (MMI V) : Cars were shaking in the streets, paintings on walls were moving, (reported through our app)
9516.8 km NNE of epicenter [Map] / not felt : PLEASE STAY ALERT PEOPLE.... DUTCHSINSE HAS ISSUED A SERIOUS WARNING ACROSS THE WORLD.. THIS IS THE DEEPEST QUAKE EVER RECORDED.. STAY SAFE STAY ALERT HAVE A BAG READY AND GOD BLESS
Staffordshire / not felt : Please! Major event beginning Watch for updates. Pack your bags. https://www.youtube.com/user/dutchsinse
Aquas calientes / Light shaking (MMI IV) : Woke up with light shaking. First time I experienced an earthquake so I wasn't sure if I dreamt it.
605.1 km S of epicenter [Map] / Weak shaking (MMI III) (reported through our app)
2696.5 km ENE of epicenter [Map] / Very weak shaking (MMI II) (reported through our app)
2988.8 km ESE of epicenter [Map] / not felt (reported through our app)
Cusco / Light shaking (MMI IV)
2511.4 km SSE of epicenter [Map] / not felt (reported through our app)
Kansas / not felt : PlEASE WATCH DUTCHSINSE YTUB TWITCH FOR EARTHQUAKE UPDATES FORCAST THIS ISNT OVER HAVE A PLAN LARGE DEEP EQ BRINGS LARGER SHALLOWER EQ
1027.7 km S of epicenter [Map] / Very weak shaking (MMI II) (reported through our app)
2766.1 km SE of epicenter [Map] / Very weak shaking (MMI II) (reported through our app)
Campina Grande do Sul (2783.2 km SE of epicenter) [Map] / Very weak shaking (MMI II) : I've heard a noise and I left to see what was happening. I see nothing. I went back my bed. After i received the message from the app (reported through our app)
308.9 km SSW of epicenter [Map] / Moderate shaking (MMI V) : I am quite a heavy sleeper but I woke up as my hospital bed was moving as I thought someone was trying to wake me up. Asked the nurse if anyone else felt it and we all did.
Buenos Aires (2905.5 km SSE of epicenter) [Map] / not felt (reported through our app)
2478 km SSE of epicenter [Map] / not felt : EnCordoba no se sintio (reported through our app)
Manaus (1469.5 km NE of epicenter) [Map] / Very weak shaking (MMI II)
306.1 km SSW of epicenter [Map] / Weak shaking (MMI III) (reported through our app)
Cusco city, jiron Urcos, urb. Progreso (309.2 km SSW of epicenter) [Map] / Moderate shaking (MMI V)
Cusco (305.3 km SSW of epicenter) [Map] / Weak shaking (MMI III)
Aguas Calientes, Perú / Light shaking (MMI IV) : I am staying in a hotel on the 5th floor. Although I am not a light sleeper, I was awakened. The quakes was clearly felt and lasted for several seconds. I heard someone say "oh my God" through the walls.my roommate is a heavy sleeper and she did not wake up.
508.2 km NW of epicenter [Map] / Weak shaking (MMI III)
Cusco (308 km SSW of epicenter) [Map] / Very weak shaking (MMI II) : In bed, felt the slight swaying, maybe 4 or 5 seconds
cusco / Moderate shaking (MMI V)
352.6 km SSW of epicenter [Map] / Weak shaking (MMI III)
Iquique (Chile, 1021 km S of epicenter) : Vivo en un edificio, quinto piso, se sintió levemente (reported through EMSC)
Arequipa (Peru, 592 km S of epicenter) : First I thought I was dizzy, then I saw many things moving around. I was pretty long. (reported through EMSC)
Arica (Chile, 819 km S of epicenter) : Felt moderate to strong in Arica, Chile. (reported through EMSC)

Aftershocks of the 7.0 quake: Peru-Brazil Border Region, 24 Aug 2018 09:04

More info
Recorded aftershocks, latest first (2 quakes):
  • 10 Mar 2019 08:24 UTC
    | M 4.5 |
    118.1 km (73.4 mi) depth
    184 km (114 mi) distance
    | USP | Details
  • 26 Aug 2018 19:58 UTC
    | M 4.5 |
    642 km (398.9 mi) depth
    32 km (20 mi) distance
    | GFZ | Details

Earlier earthquakes in the same area

Major mag. 7.0 earthquake - Peru-Brazil Border Region on Friday, 24 August 2018

More on VolcanoDiscovery

Why is there advertising on this site?

Support us!

Maintaining the website and our free apps is a time- and cost-intensive effort.
If you find the information useful and would like to support our team to develop further features and get the upgraded ad-free version, consider making a donation (PayPal or Online cc payment).
Planned features:
  • Weather reports
  • Tsunami alerts
  • Design upgrades
Thanks to your past donations, these features have been added recently:
  • Earthquake archive back to 1900
  • Additional data sources
Download and Upgrade the Volcanoes & Earthquakes app to get one of the fastest seismic and volcano alerts online:
Android | IOS
Thank you!
Copyrights: VolcanoDiscovery and other sources as noted.
Use of material: Most texts and images, in particular photographs, on this website are protected by copyright. Further reproduction and use of without authorization is usually not consented. If you are not sure or need licensing rights for photographs, for example for publications and commercial use, please contact us.
Home | Travel | Destinations | Volcanoes | Photos | Earthquakes | About | Glossary | News | Contact | Privacy | Imprint || Français | Deutsch