Major mag. 7.6 earthquake - 97 Km SE of Sand Point, Alaska, USA on Monday, 19 October 2020 - information

Major magnitude 7.6 earthquake - Gulf of Alaska, 60 mi southeast of Sandpoint, Aleutians East, Alaska, USA, on Monday, Oct 19, 2020 11:54 am (GMT -9)

Major magnitude 7.6 earthquake at 35 km depth

19 Oct 21:01 UTC: First to report: USGS after 7 minutes.
19 Oct 21:15: Magnitude recalculated from 7.4 to 7.5. Hypocenter depth recalculated from 41.0 to 40.1 km (from 25 to 25 mi). Epicenter location corrected by 4.3 km (2.7 mi) towards W.
20 Oct 17:56: Magnitude recalculated from 7.5 to 7.6. Hypocenter depth recalculated from 40.1 to 33.3 km (from 25 to 21 mi). Epicenter location corrected by 6.2 km (3.8 mi) towards SSE.
23 Oct 16:50: Hypocenter depth recalculated from 33.3 to 35.4 km (from 21 to 22 mi). Epicenter location corrected by 1.7 km (1 mi) towards NE.
Update Tue, 20 Oct 2020, 08:38
Quake was aftershock of magnitude 7.8 quake in July
According to detailed calculations of USGS, yesterday's magnitude 7.5 quake was a large aftershock of the M 7.8 quake on 22 July earlier this year.
Tectonic summary (USGS):
The earthquake occurred as the result of strike-slip faulting near the subduction zone interface between the Pacific and North America plates, either within the upper (North America) Plate or within the downgoing (Pacific) slab.
The preliminary focal mechanism solution indicates rupture occurred on either a moderately dipping right-lateral strike-slip fault striking towards the NNW or on a steeply dipping left-lateral strike-slip fault striking towards the east, and therefore that this earthquake was not a thrust event on the plate interface itself.
At the location of this event, the Pacific plate converges with North America to the northwest at a rate of about 64 mm/yr, subducting at the Alaska-Aleutian Trench 100 km to the southeast of the earthquake.
Update Mon, 19 Oct 2020, 22:48
No major damage expected
The quake follows the massive 7.8 quake, which hit the same area on 22 July earlier this year, but didn't cause significant damage, mainly due to the extremely low density of population.
Therefore, we don't expect any major damages from this quake either, although a report mentions that some buildings collapsed in Unga, a small settlement about two miles west of Sand Point.
Download the Volcanoes & Earthquakes app and get one of the fastest seismic alerts online:
Android | iOS

Earthquake data

Date & time: Oct 19, 2020 20:54:39 UTC -
Local time at epicenter: Monday, Oct 19, 2020 11:54 am (GMT -9)
Magnitude: 7.6
Depth: 35.4 km
Epicenter latitude / longitude: 54.6172°N / 159.6352°W (Gulf of Alaska, Alaska, United States)
Antipode: 54.617°S / 20.365°E
Nearest volcano: Stepovak Bay 2 (141 km / 88 mi)
Nearby towns and cities:
97 km (60 mi) SE of Sandpoint (pop: 1,060) --> See nearby quakes!
147 km (91 mi) SSW of Perryville (pop: 113) --> See nearby quakes!
179 km (111 mi) ESE of King Cove (pop: 1,010) --> See nearby quakes!
183 km (114 mi) SE of Nelson Lagoon (pop: 52) --> See nearby quakes!
190 km (118 mi) SSW of Chignik Lake (pop: 73) --> See nearby quakes!
201 km (125 mi) SSW of Chignik Lagoon (pop: 78) --> See nearby quakes!
207 km (129 mi) ESE of Cold Bay (pop: 123) --> See nearby quakes!
401 km (249 mi) E of Akutan (pop: 1,040) --> See nearby quakes!
456 km (283 mi) ENE of Unalaska (pop: 4,490) --> See nearby quakes!
456 km (283 mi) ENE of Dutch Harbor (pop: 4,380) --> See nearby quakes!
Weather at epicenter at time of quake:
Few Clouds 8°C (46 F), humidity: 68%, wind: 6 m/s (12 kts) from W
Primary data source: USGS (United States Geological Survey)
Estimated released energy: 1.6 x 1016 joules (4402 gigawatt hours, equivalent to 3.8 x 106 tons of TNT or 236.7 atomic bombs!) More info
Show interactive Map
[smaller] [bigger]
If you felt this quake (or if you were near the epicenter), please share your experience and submit a short "I felt it" report! Other users would love to hear about it!
If you did NOT feel the quake although you were in the area, please report it! Your contribution is valuable to earthquake science, seismic hazard analysis and mitigation efforts. You can use your device location or the map to indicate where you were during the earthquake. Thank you!

Data for the same earthquake reported by different agencies

Info: The more agencies report about the same quake and post similar data, the more confidence you can have in the data. It takes normally up to a few hours until earthquake parameters are calculated with near-optimum precision.
Mag.DepthLocationSource
7.635 km97 Km SE of Sand Point, Alaska, USAUSGS
7.540 kmSouth of Alaska, USAGFZ
7.630 kmSouth of Alaska, USAGeoAu
7.540 kmSouth Of Alaska, USAEMSC
7.420 kmUnited States [Sea], USAINGV
7.526 kmSouth of Alaska, USABMKG

User reports for this quake (78)

User reports estimate the perceived ground shaking intensity according to the MMI (Modified Mercalli Intensity) scale.
Contribute:
Leave a comment if you find a particular report interesting or want to add to it.
Flag as inappropriate.
Mark as helpful or interesting.
Send your own user report!
Puyallup WA (2704.7 km E of epicenter) [Map] / Very weak shaking (MMI II) / rattling, vibrating / 2-5 s : My dad and I just got finished shopping at Walmart. I was inside the back of the truck/canopy and felt vibration. At first I thought maybe the car next to us had bass on but the car was no longer there. I jokingly asked my dad if we were having an earthqu | 12 users found this interesting.
Anchorage (930.9 km NE of epicenter) [Map] / Very weak shaking (MMI II) / rattling, vibrating / 20-30 s : Thought I felt a little vibrating as I was sitting in my recliner, then looked at my aquarium and saw the water "sloshing" slightly. | 12 users found this interesting.
near Eagle River, Anchorage, Alaska (961.2 km NE of epicenter) [Map] / Weak shaking (MMI III) / rattling, vibrating / 5-10 s : Heard minor shaking wasnt sure what it was at first. Then looked and saw an earthquake happened at the same time. | 7 users found this interesting.
Puyallup WA (2704.7 km E of epicenter) [Map] / Very weak shaking (MMI II) / rattling, vibrating / 2-5 s : My dad and I just got finished shopping at Walmart. I was inside the back of the truck/canopy and felt vibration. At first I thought maybe the car next to us had bass on but the car was no longer there. I jokingly asked my dad if we were having an earthqu | One user found this interesting.
North Pole, Fairbanks North Star, Alaska (1316.3 km NNE of epicenter) [Map] / not felt : North Pole felt nothing | 5 users found this interesting. (reported through our app)
Eagle River, AK 99577 / Light shaking (MMI IV) : This was the longest lasting earthquake I’ve ever felt in the 20 years I’ve lived in Alaska. | 3 users found this interesting.
Gambell, Alaska (1225.3 km NNW of epicenter) [Map] / not felt : Not felt in Gambell, Alaska | 2 users found this interesting. (reported through our app)
Hesperia, San Bernardino, California (3953.6 km ESE of epicenter) [Map] / Light shaking (MMI IV) : I felt it I don't know how | One user found this interesting. (reported through our app)
belgium 2820 Bonheiden 17, voordiedonkenlaan (8170.9 km N of epicenter) [Map] / Very weak shaking (MMI II) : I heard it at my house, at 2820 Bonheiden, for about 15 seconds, there are galleries below my house in the woods where I live, and black salamanders, which is a sign of the presence of water slicks. 'water, and the marshy site of the origins, I was surpri
Hialeah, FL (7044.1 km E of epicenter) [Map] / not felt
Wasilla, Matanuska-Susitna, Alaska (971.6 km NNE of epicenter) [Map] / not felt (reported through our app)
Hesperia, San Bernardino, California (3953.6 km ESE of epicenter) [Map] / not felt : I did not feel it (reported through our app)
Hesperia, San Bernardino, California (3953.6 km ESE of epicenter) [Map] / not felt (reported through our app)
Langley, Island, Washington (2649.5 km E of epicenter) [Map] / not felt
McMinnville OR (2772.5 km E of epicenter) [Map] / not felt : Not Felt (reported through our app)
Mill Creek (2678 km E of epicenter) [Map] / not felt (reported through our app)
Waldport, Lincoln, Oregon (2764.3 km E of epicenter) [Map] / not felt : Not felt (reported through our app)
San Marcos (4066.2 km ESE of epicenter) [Map] / not felt (reported through our app)
Port Angeles, Clallam, Washington (2581.9 km E of epicenter) [Map] / not felt (reported through our app)
Chelan, Washington (2814.1 km E of epicenter) [Map] / not felt (reported through our app)
Terrace (1985.5 km ENE of epicenter) [Map] / not felt (reported through our app)
Farr West, Weber, Utah (3754.8 km E of epicenter) [Map] / not felt (reported through our app)
King Salmon (487.6 km NNE of epicenter) [Map] / Light shaking (MMI IV) / 20-30 s (reported through our app)
29 km of West Longview, Cowlitz, Washington (2700.2 km E of epicenter) [Map] / not felt (reported through our app)
Bow (2617.4 km E of epicenter) [Map] / not felt
near Sandpoint, Aleutians East, Alaska (84.4 km NW of epicenter) [Map] / Violent shaking (MMI IX) / vibration and rolling / 15-20 s
Calgary, Alberta (3027.7 km ENE of epicenter) [Map] / not felt (reported through our app)
Sandpoint, Aleutians East, Alaska (98 km NNW of epicenter) [Map] / Strong shaking (MMI VI)
Alaska City, Anchorage (929.8 km NE of epicenter) [Map] / not felt
Honolulu, Hawaii (3706.9 km S of epicenter) [Map] / not felt (reported through our app)
ANCHORAGE (921.8 km NE of epicenter) [Map] / Very weak shaking (MMI II) / rattling, vibrating / 2-5 s (reported through our app)
Canoga Park, Los Angeles, California (3888.7 km ESE of epicenter) [Map] / Very strong shaking (MMI VII) (reported through our app)
Alaska City, Anchorage (931.5 km NE of epicenter) [Map] / not felt
Wasilla (962.4 km NNE of epicenter) [Map] / not felt (reported through our app)
97303 (2798.7 km E of epicenter) [Map] / not felt (reported through our app)
Homer, Kenai Peninsula, Alaska (742 km NE of epicenter) [Map] / Light shaking (MMI IV) / both vertical and horizontal swinging / 20-30 s (reported through our app)
Homer, Kenai Peninsula, Alaska (739.7 km NE of epicenter) [Map] / Light shaking (MMI IV) (reported through our app)
Trident Seafoods - Sand Point / Very strong shaking (MMI VII) / both vertical and horizontal swinging : I was sleeping and it woke me up. Started as small vibrations/rumbling. As the seconds went by it became stronger and stronger. Dresser Drawers opening and closing, cabinets swinging open. The building was making creaks and thumping noises. | 10 users found this interesting.
Kodiak Station, Alaska (561.3 km NE of epicenter) [Map] / Light shaking (MMI IV) / 5-10 s : pictures on walls shook, boxes were shaking on table. | One user found this interesting.
Anchorage AK / not felt : I was sitting in my house them 22 minutes after the shake I heard about it and I had no clue it even happened. | One user found this interesting.
I was in Wilmington and I didn't feel it because I (140.2 km ESE of epicenter) [Map] / not felt : I was sleeping and It didn't wake me up because I was too far away.
Knik-Fairview, Matanuska-Susitna, Alaska (968.2 km NNE of epicenter) [Map] / not felt (reported through our app)
Unga / Violent shaking (MMI IX) : Buildings collapsed | 28 users found this interesting.
Eagle River, Alaska / Weak shaking (MMI III) / 2-5 s : Felt this quake in Eagle River, Alaska approximately 500 miles from epicenter | 9 users found this interesting.
Eagle River, AK 99577 / Light shaking (MMI IV) : This was the longest lasting earthquake I’ve ever felt in the 20 years I’ve lived in Alaska. | 5 users found this interesting.
Sutton / Very weak shaking (MMI II) / 10-15 s : I was working at my computer and could feel the house rumbling. | 4 users found this interesting.
من الجزائر احسست بالخوف عند / not felt : شعرت بالخوف عند الرقم 7.5 | 2 users found this interesting.
Columbus / not felt : Extreme anxiousness and dizziness | One user found this interesting.
Snohomish / Very weak shaking (MMI II) / 1-2 s : sitting in the garage on a wooden chair. A short, weak rocking motion | One user found this interesting.
Anchorage 99516 / Very weak shaking (MMI II) / rattling, vibrating / 2-5 s : Quick shaking | One user found this interesting.
Nashville, TN / not felt : Didn’t feel it here in Nashville, Tennessee lol | One user found this interesting.
71457 / not felt
Charleston SC / not felt
Victoria bc Canada / not felt
Miami / not felt : I didn't feel it at all. I live all the way in Miami.
Martínez de la Torre veracruz / Very weak shaking (MMI II) : I delta as if something pull me done to the ground
Reno Nevada / not felt
Miami / not felt
Perryville, Alaska / Strong shaking (MMI VI)
Tacoma wa / not felt
Prince George B.C. / not felt
Anchorage / not felt
Naukati bay, alaska / not felt
Anchorage, Alaska / not felt
Eagle river Alaska / not felt
Anchorage / not felt
Greeneville / not felt
Mile post 102 on the Parks Highway / Very weak shaking (MMI II) / very short
Anchorage / not felt
41215 Ruth Way, Homer AK / Very weak shaking (MMI II)
Yachats or / not felt
Akutan / Strong shaking (MMI VI)
Platinum / Very weak shaking (MMI II) / 2-5 s
Eagle River, Alaska / Weak shaking (MMI III) / 20-30 s
Cherry Point (Canada, 2558 km E of epicenter) : My chair shook at work while I was on the phone. It was very quick. I didn’t think it was an earthquake until I heard it on the news later. | One user found this interesting. (reported through EMSC)
Eagle River (United States, 949 km NE of epicenter) : Eagle River Alaska quake (reported through EMSC)
Anchorage (United States, 928 km NE of epicenter) : Felt trembling seemed like 20secs Muldoon Fred Meyer parking lot (reported through EMSC)
Volcanoes & Earthquakes - new app for Android

Aftershocks

More info

Recorded aftershocks, latest first (905 quakes)

• 13 Oct 2021 15:50 UTC
    271 km (168 mi) distance
  • 11 Oct 2021 14:12 UTC
    | M 2.6 |
    65.4 km (40.6 mi) depth
    267 km (166 mi) distance
    | USGS | Details

Earlier earthquakes in the same area

Try our free app!
Volcanoes & Earthquakes - new app for Android
Android | iOS version
Why is there advertising on this site?
Support us - Help us upgrade our services!
We truly love working to bring you the latest volcano and earthquake data from around the world. Maintaining our website and our free apps does require, however, considerable time and resources.
We need financing to increase hard- and software capacity as well as support our editor team. We're aiming to achieve uninterrupted service wherever an earthquake or volcano eruption unfolds, and your donations can make it happen! Every donation will be highly appreciated. If you find the information useful and would like to support our team in integrating further features, write great content, and in upgrading our soft- and hardware, please make a donation (PayPal or Online credit card payment).

Planned features:
  • Improved multilanguage support
  • Tsunami alerts
  • Faster responsiveness
Thanks to your past donations, these features have been added recently:
  • Earthquake archive from 1900 onwards
  • Detailed quake stats
  • Additional seismic data sources
Download and Upgrade the Volcanoes & Earthquakes app to get one of the fastest seismic and volcano alerts online:
Android | IOS
Thank you!
Copyrights: VolcanoDiscovery and other sources as noted.
Use of material: Most texts and images, in particular photographs, on this website are protected by copyright. Further reproduction and use of without authorization is usually not consented. If you are not sure or need licensing rights for photographs, for example for publications and commercial use, please contact us.