Strong mag. 5.4 earthquake - South Atlantic Ocean, South Georgia & South Sandwich Islands, on Wednesday, 5 September 2018 at 00:36 (GMT)
Strong magnitude 5.4 earthquake at 10 km depth
5 Sep 00:47 UTC: First to report: GFZ after 11 minutes.
Date & time: 5 Sep 2018 00:36:22 UTC
Depth: 10.0 km
Epicenter latitude / longitude: 58.29°S / 24.67°W (South Atlantic Ocean, South Georgia & South Sandwich Islands)
Nearest volcano: Montagu Island (98 km / 61 mi)
Primary data source: GFZ (German Research Centre for Geosciences)
Estimated released energy: 7.9 x 1012 joules (2.21 gigawatt hours, equivalent to 1898 tons of TNT or 0.1 atomic bombs!) More info
Data for the same earthquake reported by different agencies
Info: The more agencies report about the same quake and post similar data, the more confidence you can have in the data. It takes normally up to a few hours until earthquake parameters are calculated with near-optimum precision.
|M 5.4||10 km||South Sandwich Islands Region||GFZ|
|M 5.4||40 km||SOUTH SANDWICH ISLANDS REGION||EMSC|
|M 5.4||10 km||- South Sandwich Islands region||USGS|
User reports for this quake
User reports estimate the perceived ground shaking intensity according to the MMI (Modified Mercalli Intensity) scale.
be the first to report it!There are no user reports for this quake yet. If you felt it
More infoRecorded aftershocks, latest first (5 quakes):
- 29 Oct 2018 03:18 UTC| M 5.0 |10 km (6.2 mi) depth|30 km (19 mi) distance| USGS | Details
- 05 Sep 2018 05:09 UTC| M 5.2 |35 km (21.7 mi) depth|12 km (8 mi) distance| USGS | Details
- 05 Sep 2018 03:33 UTC| M 5.3 |10 km (6.2 mi) depth|25 km (16 mi) distance| GFZ | Details
- 05 Sep 2018 00:50 UTC| M 4.7 |10 km (6.2 mi) depth|16 km (10 mi) distance| EMSC | Details
- 05 Sep 2018 00:43 UTC| M 5.0 |10 km (6.2 mi) depth|19 km (12 mi) distance| EMSC | Details