Very strong mag. 6.4 earthquake - North Pacific Ocean, 6.2 km north of Nandayure, Costa Rica, on Tuesday, 13 May 1952 at 19:31 (GMT)
Quake Data | Interactive map | User Reports | Aftershocks | Earlier quakes in same area | Quakes in Costa Rica | Quakes in Nicaragua| Provincia de Guanacaste | Provincia de Puntarenas | Provincia de Alajuela | San Jose | Provincia de Limon | Departamento de Managua
Very strong magnitude 6.4 earthquake at 35 km depth
Date & time: 13 May 1952 19:31:42 UTC
Depth: 35.0 km
Epicenter latitude / longitude: 10.088°N / 85.211°W (North Pacific Ocean, Costa Rica)
Nearest volcano: Cerro Chopo (45 km / 28 mi)
Nearby towns and cities:
6 km (4 mi) NNW of Nandayure (pop: 1,650) --> See nearby quakes!
27 km (17 mi) ESE of Nicoya (pop: 15,300) --> See nearby quakes!
40 km (25 mi) SSW of Canas (Cañas) (pop: 20,300) --> See nearby quakes!
43 km (27 mi) WNW of Puntarenas (pop: 35,700) --> See nearby quakes!
49 km (30 mi) WNW of Chacarita (pop: 26,400) --> See nearby quakes!
61 km (38 mi) W of Esparza (Espíritu Santo) (pop: 15,600) --> See nearby quakes!
90 km (56 mi) WSW of Quesada (Barrio San Martín) (pop: 27,300) --> See nearby quakes!
125 km (77 mi) W of San Jose (pop: 335,000) --> See nearby quakes!
238 km (148 mi) W of Puerto Limon (pop: 63,100) --> See nearby quakes!
254 km (158 mi) SSE of Managua (Nicaragua) (pop: 973,100) --> See nearby quakes!
Primary data source: USGS (United States Geological Survey)
Estimated released energy: 2.5 x 1014 joules (69.8 gigawatt hours, equivalent to 60036 tons of TNT or 3.8 atomic bombs!) More info
Data for the same earthquake reported by different agencies
Info: The more agencies report about the same quake and post similar data, the more confidence you can have in the data. It takes normally up to a few hours until earthquake parameters are calculated with near-optimum precision.
|M 6.4||35 km||Costa Rica||USGS|
User reports for this quake
User reports estimate the perceived ground shaking intensity according to the MMI (Modified Mercalli Intensity) scale.
be the first to report it!There are no user reports for this quake yet. If you felt it
AftershocksPlease check again later while we are collecting more data.
Earlier earthquakes in the same area since 1900
- 05 Oct 1950 16:09| 7.5 |98km / 61mi|70 years ago|47km / 29mi| Tilaran, 8 km NE of Canas, Cañas, Provincia de Guanacaste, Costa Rica
- 04 Mar 1924 10:07| 7.1 |15km / 9.3mi|97 years ago|146km / 91mi| Cartago, 7.6 km SW of Paraiso, Provincia de Cartago, Costa Rica
- 06 Dec 1941 21:24| 7.0 |15km / 9.3mi|79 years ago|190km / 118mi| North Pacific Ocean, 164 km S of Сан-Хосе, Costa Rica
- 22 Dec 1939 04:44| 6.8 |25km / 16mi|81 years ago|75km / 47mi| North Pacific Ocean, 31 km E of Isla Cabo Blanco Island, Costa Rica
- 02 Oct 1932 02:59| 6.7 |30km / 19mi|88 years ago|203km / 126mi| North Pacific Ocean, 57 km S of San Rafael del Sur, Nicaragua
- 27 Oct 1940 05:35| 6.6 |35km / 22mi|80 years ago|124km / 77mi| 9.2 km E of Parrita, Provincia de Puntarenas, Costa Rica
- 22 Dec 1934 14:29| 6.5 |25km / 16mi|86 years ago|226km / 141mi| North Pacific Ocean, 61 km SW of San Rafael del Sur, Nicaragua
- 09 Mar 1937 15:40| 6.4 |20km / 12.4mi|84 years ago|244km / 151mi| 21 km SE of Ciudad Cortés, Osa, Provincia de Puntarenas, Costa Rica
- 11 Mar 1924 10:41| 6.4 |20km / 12.4mi|97 years ago|39km / 24mi| 9.3 km N of Puntarenas, Costa Rica
- 16 Feb 1922 03:14| 6.4 |25km / 16mi|99 years ago|184km / 115mi| North Pacific Ocean, 87 km SW of Masaya, Nicaragua
Hint: Click on Date/Time to show latest first