Strong mag. 6.0 earthquake - 109 km south of Palu, Central Sulawesi, Indonesia, on Friday, March 19, 1965 at 16:20 (GMT)
Quake Data | Interactive map | User Reports | Aftershocks | Earlier quakes here | Quakes in Indonesia | Central Sulawesi | South Sulawesi | West Sulawesi | East Kalimantan
Strong magnitude 6.0 earthquake at 40 km depth
Depth: 40.0 km
Epicenter latitude / longitude: 1.887°S / 119.836°E↗ (Indonesia)
Antipode: 1.887°N / 60.164°W↗
Nearby towns and cities:
109 km (68 mi) S of Palu (pop: 282,400) --> See nearby quakes!
116 km (72 mi) WSW of Poso (pop: 47,100) --> See nearby quakes!
121 km (75 mi) N of Rantepao (pop: 40,400) --> See nearby quakes!
129 km (80 mi) NNW of Palopo (pop: 129,300) --> See nearby quakes!
138 km (86 mi) NE of Mamuju (pop: 15,000) --> See nearby quakes!
180 km (112 mi) NNE of Polewali (pop: 58,200) --> See nearby quakes!
238 km (148 mi) N of Parepare (pop: 140,000) --> See nearby quakes!
250 km (155 mi) N of Sengkang (pop: 59,500) --> See nearby quakes!
335 km (208 mi) ESE of City of Balikpapan (pop: 700,000) --> See nearby quakes!
366 km (227 mi) N of Macassar (pop: 1,321,700) --> See nearby quakes!
Primary data source: USGS (United States Geological Survey)
Estimated released energy: 6.3 x 1013 joules (17.5 gigawatt hours, equivalent to 15080 tons of TNT or 0.9 atomic bombs!) More info
Data for the same earthquake reported by different agencies
Info: The more agencies report about the same quake and post similar data, the more confidence you can have in the data. It takes normally up to a few hours until earthquake parameters are calculated with near-optimum precision.
|6.0||40 km||Sulawesi, Indonesia||USGS|
User reports for this quake
User reports estimate the perceived ground shaking intensity according to the MMI (Modified Mercalli Intensity) scale.
AftershocksPlease check again later while we are collecting more data.
Earlier earthquakes in the same area since 1900
- 19 May 1938 17:08| 7.7 |35km / 22mi|83 years ago|182km / 113mi| Makassar Strait, 117 km W of Palu, Central Sulawesi, Indonesia
- 15 Oct 1959 06:15| 6.6 |35km / 22mi|62 years ago|217km / 135mi| Gulf of Tomini, 37 km E of Pulau Katio Island, Central Sulawesi, Indonesia
- 13 Feb 1924 22:50| 6.6 |35km / 22mi|98 years ago|205km / 127mi| Southeast Sulawesi, 118 km E of Palopo, South Sulawesi, Indonesia
- 29 Dec 1925 16:04| 6.5 |25km / 16mi|96 years ago|68km / 42mi| 58 km W of Poso, Central Sulawesi, Indonesia
- 29 Jul 1924 05:18| 6.5 |35km / 22mi|97 years ago|207km / 129mi| Southeast Sulawesi, 112 km E of Palopo, South Sulawesi, Indonesia
- 01 Dec 1927 04:37| 6.3 |20km / 12.4mi|94 years ago|155km / 97mi| Gulf of Tomini, 62 km N of Poso, Central Sulawesi, Indonesia
- 11 Oct 1964 21:15| 6.2 |25km / 16mi|57 years ago|243km / 151mi| Gulf of Tomini, 44 km SW of Pulau Togean Island, Central Sulawesi, Indonesia
- 20 Sep 1954 00:39| 6.0 |50km / 31mi|67 years ago|63km / 39mi| 72 km SW of Poso, Central Sulawesi, Indonesia
- 05 Jun 1963 22:54| 5.8 |35km / 22mi|58 years ago|133km / 83mi| 26 km SW of Rantepao, South Sulawesi, Indonesia
- 14 Jul 1959 22:31| 5.7 |25km / 16mi|62 years ago|202km / 126mi| Makassar Strait, 3.9 km SE of Pulau Katio Island, Central Sulawesi, Indonesia
Hint: Click on Date/Time to show latest first