Strong mag. 6.7 earthquake - Oruro, 374 km west of Sucre, Departamento de Chuquisaca, Bolivia, on Friday, 20 August 1965 at 09:42 (GMT)
Quake Data | Interactive map | User Reports | Aftershocks | Earlier quakes in same area | Quakes in Bolivia | Quakes in Chile | Quakes in Peru| Oruro | Region de Arica y Parinacota | Tacna | Tarapaca | Departamento de Potosi | Departamento de La Paz | Departamento de Cochabamba | Departamento de Chuquisaca
Strong magnitude 6.7 earthquake at 124 km depth
Date & time: 20 Aug 1965 09:42:50 UTC
Depth: 124.0 km
Epicenter latitude / longitude: 18.954°S / 68.82°W (Oruro, Bolivia)
Nearest volcano: Isluga (22 km / 14 mi)
Nearby towns and cities:
165 km (102 mi) ESE of Arica (Arica y Parinacota, Chile) (pop: 186,000) --> See nearby quakes!
184 km (114 mi) SE of Tacna (Peru) (pop: 280,100) --> See nearby quakes!
198 km (123 mi) NE of Iquique (Tarapacá, Chile) (pop: 227,500) --> See nearby quakes!
207 km (128 mi) WSW of Oruro (pop: 208,700) --> See nearby quakes!
222 km (138 mi) WSW of Huanuni (Pantaleón Dalence) (pop: 15,500) --> See nearby quakes!
243 km (151 mi) WSW of Llallagua (Rafael Bustillo, Potosí) (pop: 28,100) --> See nearby quakes!
282 km (175 mi) SSW of La Paz (pop: 812,800) --> See nearby quakes!
320 km (199 mi) SW of Quillacollo (Cochabamba) (pop: 87,300) --> See nearby quakes!
331 km (206 mi) WSW of Cochabamba (pop: 900,400) --> See nearby quakes!
374 km (233 mi) W of Sucre (Chuquisaca) (pop: 224,800) --> See nearby quakes!
Primary data source: USGS (United States Geological Survey)
Estimated released energy: 7.1 x 1014 joules (197 gigawatt hours, equivalent to 1.7 x 105 tons of TNT or 10.6 atomic bombs!) More info
Data for the same earthquake reported by different agencies
Info: The more agencies report about the same quake and post similar data, the more confidence you can have in the data. It takes normally up to a few hours until earthquake parameters are calculated with near-optimum precision.
|6.7||124 km||Oruro, Bolivia||USGS|
User reports for this quake
User reports estimate the perceived ground shaking intensity according to the MMI (Modified Mercalli Intensity) scale.There are no user reports for this quake yet. If you felt it be the first to report it!
More infoRecorded aftershocks, latest first (0 quakes):
So far, no aftershocks have been registered.
Earlier earthquakes in the same area since 1900
- 23 Feb 1933 08:09| 7.2 |35km / 22mi|88 years ago|222km / 138mi| Iquique, 32 km S of Iquique, Tarapaca, Chile
- 14 Jun 1959 00:12| 7.1 |109km / 68mi|62 years ago|162km / 100mi| Tamarugal, 136 km E of Iquique, Tarapaca, Chile
- 04 Oct 1940 07:55| 6.9 |35km / 22mi|81 years ago|189km / 117mi| South Pacific Ocean, 44 km NW of Iquique, Tarapaca, Chile
- 08 Jan 1956 20:54| 6.6 |52km / 32mi|65 years ago|177km / 110mi| South Pacific Ocean, 59 km S of Arica, Arica y Parinacota, Chile
- 11 May 1948 08:55| 6.6 |59km / 36mi|73 years ago|245km / 152mi| 10.1 km N of Quilahuani, Candarave, Tacna, Peru
- 04 Dec 1934 17:24| 6.5 |35km / 22mi|86 years ago|98km / 61mi| Provincia del Tamarugal, Tarapaca, 105 km SE of Arica, Arica y Parinacota, Chile
- 06 Oct 1940 15:38| 6.4 |15km / 9.3mi|81 years ago|205km / 127mi| South Pacific Ocean, 68 km NW of Iquique, Tarapaca, Chile
- 06 Dec 1955 04:31| 6.3 |35km / 22mi|65 years ago|243km / 151mi| South Pacific Ocean, 48 km SW of Iquique, Tarapaca, Chile
- 29 Dec 1962 10:41| 6.2 |50km / 31mi|58 years ago|173km / 107mi| Iquique, 26 km NE of Iquique, Tarapaca, Chile
- 12 Jun 1965 18:50| 5.9 |102km / 64mi|56 years ago|159km / 99mi| Tamarugal, 127 km E of Iquique, Tarapaca, Chile
Hint: Click on Date/Time to show latest first