Moderate mag. 5.1 earthquake - North Pacific Ocean, 80 km north of Tumaco, Narino, Colombia, on Sunday, 1 August 1982 at 20:38 (GMT)
Quake Data | Interactive map | User Reports | Aftershocks | Earlier quakes in same area | Quakes in Colombia | Quakes in Ecuador| Narino | Departamento del Cauca | Departamento del Valle del Cauca | Provincia de Pichincha | Bogota D.C.
Moderate magnitude 5.1 earthquake at 33 km depth
Date & time: 1 Aug 1982 20:38:16 UTC
Depth: 33.0 km
Epicenter latitude / longitude: 2.504°N / 78.853°W (North Pacific Ocean, Colombia)
Nearest volcano: Cumbal (204 km / 127 mi)
Nearby towns and cities:
47 km (29 mi) NNW of Francisco Pizarro (pop: 6,110) --> See nearby quakes!
75 km (46 mi) W of La Tola (pop: 3,770) --> See nearby quakes!
80 km (49 mi) N of Tumaco (pop: 86,700) --> See nearby quakes!
83 km (51 mi) W of El Charco (pop: 28,700) --> See nearby quakes!
226 km (141 mi) NW of Pasto (pop: 382,200) --> See nearby quakes!
249 km (155 mi) W of Popayan (pop: 258,700) --> See nearby quakes!
279 km (173 mi) WSW of Santiago de Cali (pop: 2,392,900) --> See nearby quakes!
306 km (190 mi) N of San Francisco de Quito (Ecuador) (pop: 1,399,800) --> See nearby quakes!
454 km (282 mi) NNW of Puyo (Pastaza, Ecuador) (pop: 24,900) --> See nearby quakes!
579 km (360 mi) WSW of Santafe de Bogota (pop: 7,674,400) --> See nearby quakes!
Primary data source: USGS (United States Geological Survey)
Estimated released energy: 2.8 x 1012 joules (783 megawatt hours, equivalent to 674 tons of TNT) More info
Data for the same earthquake reported by different agencies
Info: The more agencies report about the same quake and post similar data, the more confidence you can have in the data. It takes normally up to a few hours until earthquake parameters are calculated with near-optimum precision.
|M 5.1||33 km||near the west coast of Colombia||USGS|
User reports for this quake
User reports estimate the perceived ground shaking intensity according to the MMI (Modified Mercalli Intensity) scale.
be the first to report it!There are no user reports for this quake yet. If you felt it
AftershocksPlease check again later while we are collecting more data.
Earlier earthquakes in the same area since 1900
- 31 Jan 1906 15:36| 8.8 |20km / 12.4mi|115 years ago|182km / 113mi| Rio Verde, 32 km E of Esmeraldas, Provincia de Esmeraldas, Ecuador
- 12 Dec 1979 07:59| 7.7 |24km / 15mi|41 years ago|115km / 72mi| North Pacific Ocean, 66 km W of Tumaco, Narino, Colombia
- 19 Jan 1958 14:07| 7.6 |28km / 17mi|63 years ago|180km / 112mi| 19 km E of Esmeraldas, Provincia de Esmeraldas, Ecuador
- 01 Feb 1958 16:10| 6.9 |15km / 9.3mi|63 years ago|120km / 75mi| North Pacific Ocean, 67 km SW of Tumaco, Narino, Colombia
- 01 Feb 1958 20:45| 6.3 |25km / 16mi|63 years ago|122km / 76mi| North Pacific Ocean, 55 km SW of Tumaco, Narino, Colombia
- 01 Feb 1958 18:02| 6.3 |25km / 16mi|63 years ago|117km / 73mi| North Pacific Ocean, 63 km SW of Tumaco, Narino, Colombia
- 24 Dec 1935 12:24| 6.2 |25km / 16mi|85 years ago|69km / 43mi| North Pacific Ocean, 118 km NW of Tumaco, Narino, Colombia
- 13 Dec 1979 05:37| 5.8 |33km / 21mi|41 years ago|42km / 26mi| North Pacific Ocean, 103 km NW of Tumaco, Narino, Colombia
- 03 Jan 1981 01:23| 5.7 |33km / 21mi|40 years ago|57km / 36mi| North Pacific Ocean, 63 km NW of Tumaco, Narino, Colombia
- 02 Jan 1981 07:37| 5.7 |33km / 21mi|40 years ago|54km / 33mi| North Pacific Ocean, 57 km NW of Tumaco, Narino, Colombia
Hint: Click on Date/Time to show latest first