Strong mag. 6.0 earthquake - Wairoa District, Hawke's Bay, 95 km southeast of Rotorua, New Zealand, on Friday, July 19, 1985 at 14:34 (GMT)
Quake Data | Interactive map | User Reports | Aftershocks | Earlier quakes here | Quakes in New Zealand | Hawke's Bay | Waikato | Gisborne | Bay of Plenty | Auckland | Wellington
Strong magnitude 6.0 earthquake at 52 km depth
1 Jan 00:00 UTC: First to report: USGS after 30 seconds.
Depth: 51.9 km
Epicenter latitude / longitude: 38.778°S / 176.973°E↗ (Wairoa District, Hawke's Bay, New Zealand)
Antipode: 38.778°N / 3.027°W↗
Nearest volcano: Reporoa (69 km / 43 mi)
Nearby towns and cities:
17 km (11 mi) WNW of Tuai (pop: 280) --> See nearby quakes!
78 km (48 mi) E of Taupo (Waikato) (pop: 22,500) --> See nearby quakes!
80 km (49 mi) N of Napier City (pop: 56,800) --> See nearby quakes!
85 km (53 mi) N of Taradale (Napier City) (pop: 16,600) --> See nearby quakes!
91 km (56 mi) W of Gisborne (pop: 34,300) --> See nearby quakes!
91 km (57 mi) S of Whakatane (Bay of Plenty) (pop: 18,600) --> See nearby quakes!
95 km (59 mi) SE of Rotorua (Bay of Plenty) (pop: 65,900) --> See nearby quakes!
96 km (60 mi) N of Hastings (pop: 61,700) --> See nearby quakes!
289 km (180 mi) SE of Auckland (pop: 417,900) --> See nearby quakes!
336 km (209 mi) NE of Wellington (pop: 381,900) --> See nearby quakes!
Primary data source: USGS (United States Geological Survey)
Estimated released energy: 6.3 x 1013 joules (17.5 gigawatt hours, equivalent to 15080 tons of TNT or 0.9 atomic bombs!) More info
Data for the same earthquake reported by different agencies
Info: The more agencies report about the same quake and post similar data, the more confidence you can have in the data. It takes normally up to a few hours until earthquake parameters are calculated with near-optimum precision.
|6.0||52 km||North Island of New Zealand||USGS|
User reports for this quake
User reports estimate the perceived ground shaking intensity according to the MMI (Modified Mercalli Intensity) scale.
Recorded aftershocks, latest first (1 quake)
- 01 Nov 1985 14:44 UTC| M 5.2 |39.1 km (24.3 mi) depth|16 km (10 mi) distance| USGS | Details
Earlier earthquakes in the same area since 1900
- 02 Feb 1931 22:46| 7.4 |35km / 22mi|91 years ago|109km / 68mi| Central Hawke's Bay District, 37 km W of Hastings, Hawke's Bay, New Zealand
- 13 Feb 1931 01:27| 7.3 |45km / 28mi|91 years ago|102km / 63mi| Rangitikei District, Manawatu-Wanganui, 57 km W of Hastings, New Zealand
- 05 Mar 1934 11:46| 7.2 |35km / 22mi|88 years ago|246km / 153mi| Tasman Sea, 18 km NW of Levin, New Zealand
- 25 Mar 1947 20:32| 7.0 |165km / 103mi|75 years ago|55km / 34mi| 19 km NE of Wairoa, Hawke's Bay, New Zealand
- 15 Sep 1932 13:54| 6.9 |15km / 9.3mi|89 years ago|106km / 66mi| South Pacific Ocean, 60 km S of Gisborne, New Zealand
- 30 Dec 1984 21:36| 6.8 |39km / 24mi|37 years ago|240km / 149mi| South Pacific Ocean, 165 km NE of Tauranga, Bay of Plenty, New Zealand
- 28 Jun 1921 13:58| 6.7 |25km / 16mi|100 years ago|101km / 63mi| 5.9 km SE of Hastings, Hawke's Bay, New Zealand
- 28 Dec 1956 14:24| 6.5 |35km / 22mi|65 years ago|77km / 48mi| 23 km NW of Te Karaka, Gisborne District, New Zealand
- 30 Jan 1956 08:43| 6.4 |15km / 9.3mi|66 years ago|165km / 103mi| South Pacific Ocean, 64 km NW of Te Kaha, New Zealand
- 08 Feb 1931 01:43| 6.4 |15km / 9.3mi|91 years ago|100km / 62mi| South Pacific Ocean, 26 km E of Hastings, Hawke's Bay, New Zealand
Hint: Click on Date/Time to show latest first