Strong mag. 5.9 earthquake - North Pacific Ocean, 125 km southwest of Liberia, Costa Rica, on Thursday, 10 September 1992 at 15:03 (GMT)
Quake Data | Interactive map | User Reports | Aftershocks | Earlier quakes in same area | Quakes in Costa Rica | Quakes in Nicaragua| Provincia de Guanacaste | Provincia de Alajuela | Provincia de Puntarenas | Departamento de Managua | Provincia de Heredia | San Jose
Strong magnitude 5.9 earthquake at 27 km depth
Date & time: 10 Sep 1992 15:03:17 UTC
Depth: 26.5 km
Epicenter latitude / longitude: 10.21°N / 86.494°W (North Pacific Ocean, Costa Rica)
Nearest volcano: Orosí (141 km / 88 mi)
Nearby towns and cities:
100 km (62 mi) W of Santa Cruz (pop: 12,300) --> See nearby quakes!
114 km (71 mi) W of Nicoya (pop: 15,300) --> See nearby quakes!
125 km (78 mi) WSW of Liberia (pop: 45,400) --> See nearby quakes!
155 km (96 mi) W of Canas (Cañas) (pop: 20,300) --> See nearby quakes!
170 km (106 mi) WSW of San José (Upala) (pop: 31,400) --> See nearby quakes!
183 km (114 mi) W of Puntarenas (pop: 35,700) --> See nearby quakes!
216 km (134 mi) S of Managua (Nicaragua) (pop: 973,100) --> See nearby quakes!
251 km (156 mi) W of Alajuela (pop: 47,500) --> See nearby quakes!
260 km (162 mi) W of San Francisco (pop: 55,900) --> See nearby quakes!
266 km (165 mi) W of San Jose (pop: 335,000) --> See nearby quakes!
Primary data source: USGS (United States Geological Survey)
Estimated released energy: 4.5 x 1013 joules (12.4 gigawatt hours, equivalent to 10676 tons of TNT or 0.7 atomic bombs!) More info
Data for the same earthquake reported by different agencies
Info: The more agencies report about the same quake and post similar data, the more confidence you can have in the data. It takes normally up to a few hours until earthquake parameters are calculated with near-optimum precision.
|M 5.9||27 km||off the coast of Costa Rica||USGS|
User reports for this quake
User reports estimate the perceived ground shaking intensity according to the MMI (Modified Mercalli Intensity) scale.
be the first to report it!There are no user reports for this quake yet. If you felt it
AftershocksPlease check again later while we are collecting more data.
Earlier earthquakes in the same area since 1900
- 02 Sep 1992 00:16| 7.7 |45km / 28mi|29 years ago|194km / 120mi| North Pacific Ocean, 92 km SW of Leon, Nicaragua
- 05 Oct 1950 16:09| 7.5 |98km / 61mi|70 years ago|161km / 100mi| Tilaran, 8 km NE of Canas, Cañas, Provincia de Guanacaste, Costa Rica
- 25 Mar 1990 13:22| 7.3 |22km / 14mi|31 years ago|187km / 116mi| North Pacific Ocean, 7.2 km SE of Puntarenas, Costa Rica
- 27 Feb 1916 20:21| 7.2 |15km / 9.3mi|105 years ago|221km / 137mi| North Pacific Ocean, 137 km SW of Corinto, Departamento de Chinandega, Nicaragua
- 15 Oct 1967 08:00| 7.1 |160km / 100mi|53 years ago|202km / 126mi| 9.2 km E of Granada, Nicaragua
- 24 Oct 1956 14:42| 7.1 |35km / 22mi|64 years ago|164km / 102mi| North Pacific Ocean, 13 km S of Masachapa, Departamento de Managua, Nicaragua
- 23 Aug 1978 00:38| 7.0 |56km / 35mi|43 years ago|139km / 87mi| Nicoya, 53 km SE of Liberia, Provincia de Guanacaste, Costa Rica
- 03 Apr 1990 22:57| 6.8 |53km / 33mi|31 years ago|137km / 85mi| North Pacific Ocean, 79 km S of Managua, Nicaragua
- 02 Oct 1932 02:59| 6.7 |30km / 19mi|88 years ago|127km / 79mi| North Pacific Ocean, 57 km S of San Rafael del Sur, Nicaragua
- 22 Dec 1934 14:29| 6.5 |25km / 16mi|86 years ago|138km / 86mi| North Pacific Ocean, 61 km SW of San Rafael del Sur, Nicaragua
Hint: Click on Date/Time to show latest first