Strong mag. 6.6 earthquake - New Ireland Region, Papua New Guinea, on Monday, 6 September 1993 at 03:56 (GMT)
Quake Data | Interactive map | User Reports | Aftershocks | Earlier quakes in same area | Quakes in Papua New Guinea | National Capital
Strong magnitude 6.6 earthquake at 49 km depth
Depth: 49.0 km
Epicenter latitude / longitude: 4.641°S / 153.231°E (Papua New Guinea)
Nearest volcano: Ambitle (78 km / 48 mi)
Nearby towns and cities:
860 km (534 mi) NE of Port Moresby (pop: 283,700) --> See nearby quakes!
Primary data source: USGS (United States Geological Survey)
Estimated released energy: 5 x 1014 joules (139 gigawatt hours, equivalent to 1.2 x 105 tons of TNT or 7.5 atomic bombs!) More info
Data for the same earthquake reported by different agencies
Info: The more agencies report about the same quake and post similar data, the more confidence you can have in the data. It takes normally up to a few hours until earthquake parameters are calculated with near-optimum precision.
|M 6.6||49 km||New Ireland region, Papua New Guinea||USGS|
User reports for this quake
User reports estimate the perceived ground shaking intensity according to the MMI (Modified Mercalli Intensity) scale.
be the first to report it!There are no user reports for this quake yet. If you felt it
Aftershocks of the 6.6 quake New Ireland Region, Papua New Guinea, 6 September 1993 03:56 GMT
More infoRecorded aftershocks, latest first (5 quakes):
- 22 Feb 1994 20:02 UTC| M 5.3 |55.9 km (34.7 mi) depth|83 km (51 mi) distance| USGS | Details
- 11 Nov 1993 10:13 UTC| M 6.0 |45.8 km (28.5 mi) depth|14 km (9 mi) distance| USGS | Strong mag. 6.0 earthquake - New Ireland Region, Papua New Guinea, on Thursday, 11 November 1993 at 10:13 (GMT)
- 08 Nov 1993 14:00 UTC| M 5.1 |77.3 km (48 mi) depth|26 km (16 mi) distance| USGS | Details
- 18 Oct 1993 07:24 UTC| M 5.0 |33 km (20.5 mi) depth|116 km (72 mi) distance| USGS | Details
- 11 Oct 1993 11:16 UTC| M 5.6 |30.4 km (18.9 mi) depth|14 km (9 mi) distance| USGS | Details