Strong mag. 6.2 earthquake - South Sandwich Islands Region on Monday, 22 January 1996 at 23:19 (GMT)
Strong magnitude 6.2 earthquake at 10 km depth
Depth: 10.1 km
Epicenter latitude / longitude: 60.614°S / 25.901°W (South Georgia & South Sandwich Islands)
Nearest volcano: Thule Islands (153 km / 95 mi)
Nearby towns and cities:
151 km (94 mi) SSE of Thule Island --> See nearby quakes!
246 km (153 mi) S of Montagu Island --> See nearby quakes!
Primary data source: USGS (United States Geological Survey)
Estimated released energy: 1.3 x 1014 joules (35 gigawatt hours, equivalent to 30089 tons of TNT or 1.9 atomic bombs!) More info
Data for the same earthquake reported by different agencies
Info: The more agencies report about the same quake and post similar data, the more confidence you can have in the data. It takes normally up to a few hours until earthquake parameters are calculated with near-optimum precision.
|M 6.2||10.1 km||South Sandwich Islands region||USGS|
User reports for this quake
User reports estimate the perceived ground shaking intensity according to the MMI (Modified Mercalli Intensity) scale.
be the first to report it!There are no user reports for this quake yet. If you felt it
Aftershocks of the 6.2 quake South Sandwich Islands Region 22 January 1996 23:19 GMT
More infoRecorded aftershocks, latest first (5 quakes):
- 18 Jul 1996 21:09 UTC| M 4.5 |33 km (20.5 mi) depth|48 km (30 mi) distance| USGS | Details
- 16 Jun 1996 00:06 UTC| M 5.2 |33 km (20.5 mi) depth|43 km (27 mi) distance| USGS | Details
- 24 Mar 1996 15:49 UTC| M 4.1 |90 km (55.9 mi) depth|71 km (44 mi) distance| USGS | Details
- 08 Mar 1996 08:10 UTC| M 4.3 |33 km (20.5 mi) depth|26 km (16 mi) distance| USGS | Details
- 23 Jan 1996 01:19 UTC| M 4.8 |33 km (20.5 mi) depth|50 km (31 mi) distance| USGS | Details