Moderate mag. 5.0 earthquake - North Pacific Ocean, Japan, on Monday, 6 April 1998 at 05:28 (GMT)
Quake Data | Interactive map | User Reports | Aftershocks | Earlier quakes in same area | Quakes in Japan| Tokyo
Moderate magnitude 5.0 earthquake at 36 km depth
Date & time: 6 Apr 1998 05:28:52 UTC
Depth: 36.4 km
Epicenter latitude / longitude: 27.929°N / 143.529°E (North Pacific Ocean, Japan)
Nearest volcano: unnamed (221 km / 137 mi)
Nearby towns and cities:
936 km (582 mi) SSE of Tokyo (pop: 8,336,600) --> See nearby quakes!
Primary data source: USGS (United States Geological Survey)
Estimated released energy: 2 x 1012 joules (554 megawatt hours, equivalent to 477 tons of TNT) More info
Data for the same earthquake reported by different agencies
Info: The more agencies report about the same quake and post similar data, the more confidence you can have in the data. It takes normally up to a few hours until earthquake parameters are calculated with near-optimum precision.
|M 5.0||36 km||Bonin Islands, Japan region||USGS|
User reports for this quake
User reports estimate the perceived ground shaking intensity according to the MMI (Modified Mercalli Intensity) scale.
be the first to report it!There are no user reports for this quake yet. If you felt it
More infoRecorded aftershocks, latest first (5 quakes):
- 08 Apr 1998 10:50 UTC| M 4.0 |33 km (20.5 mi) depth|15 km (9 mi) distance| USGS | Details
- 08 Apr 1998 08:52 UTC| M 3.8 |33 km (20.5 mi) depth|7 km (5 mi) distance| USGS | Details
- 08 Apr 1998 07:34 UTC| M 3.9 |33 km (20.5 mi) depth|9 km (6 mi) distance| USGS | Details
- 07 Apr 1998 01:35 UTC| M 4.2 |33 km (20.5 mi) depth|6 km (4 mi) distance| USGS | Details
- 06 Apr 1998 07:45 UTC| M 4.1 |10 km (6.2 mi) depth|5 km (3 mi) distance| USGS | Details