Strong mag. 6.4 earthquake - 278 km west of Jayapura, Papua, Indonesia, on Sunday, 16 May 1999 at 15:25 (GMT)
Quake Data | Interactive map | User Reports | Aftershocks | Earlier quakes in same area | Quakes in Indonesia | Quakes in Papua New Guinea| Papua | West Sepik Province | Western Province
Strong magnitude 6.4 earthquake at 59 km depth
Date & time: 16 May 1999 15:25:53 UTC
Depth: 59.2 km
Epicenter latitude / longitude: 2.642°S / 138.217°E (Papua, Indonesia)
Nearby towns and cities:
268 km (167 mi) W of Abepura (Papua) (pop: 62,200) --> See nearby quakes!
278 km (173 mi) W of Jayapura (Papua) (pop: 134,900) --> See nearby quakes!
312 km (194 mi) ENE of Nabire (Papua) (pop: 43,900) --> See nearby quakes!
343 km (213 mi) W of Vanimo (Sandaun, Papua New Guinea) (pop: 11,200) --> See nearby quakes!
516 km (320 mi) NW of Kiunga (North Fly, Western Province, Papua New Guinea) (pop: 11,500) --> See nearby quakes!
Primary data source: USGS (United States Geological Survey)
Estimated released energy: 2.5 x 1014 joules (69.8 gigawatt hours, equivalent to 60036 tons of TNT or 3.8 atomic bombs!) More info
Data for the same earthquake reported by different agencies
Info: The more agencies report about the same quake and post similar data, the more confidence you can have in the data. It takes normally up to a few hours until earthquake parameters are calculated with near-optimum precision.
|M 6.4||59 km||Papua, Indonesia||USGS|
User reports for this quake
User reports estimate the perceived ground shaking intensity according to the MMI (Modified Mercalli Intensity) scale.
be the first to report it!There are no user reports for this quake yet. If you felt it
More infoRecorded aftershocks, latest first (1 quakes):
- 20 Jul 1999 20:42 UTC| M 5.4 |33 km (20.5 mi) depth|59 km (37 mi) distance| USGS | Details
Earlier earthquakes in the same area since 1900
- 17 Feb 1996 05:59| 8.1 |33km / 21mi|25 years ago|240km / 149mi| South Pacific Ocean, Indonesia
- 26 May 1914 14:22| 8.1 |15km / 9.3mi|107 years ago|168km / 104mi| South Pacific Ocean, 8.4 km W of Pulau Kurudu Island, Indonesia
- 10 Jan 1971 07:17| 7.7 |30km / 19mi|50 years ago|178km / 110mi| 132 km SW of Jayapura, Papua, Indonesia
- 13 Jan 1916 08:20| 7.7 |35km / 22mi|105 years ago|151km / 94mi| 287 km E of Nabire, Papua, Indonesia
- 26 Oct 1926 03:44| 7.6 |35km / 22mi|94 years ago|120km / 75mi| 163 km W of Jayapura, Papua, Indonesia
- 28 May 1968 13:27| 7.5 |45km / 28mi|53 years ago|128km / 80mi| 145 km W of Abepura, Papua, Indonesia
- 02 Apr 1947 05:39| 7.3 |15km / 9.3mi|74 years ago|170km / 106mi| South Pacific Ocean, 63 km N of Pulau Monot Island, Papua, Indonesia
- 19 Sep 1950 20:29| 7.2 |30km / 19mi|70 years ago|63km / 39mi| 290 km W of Jayapura, Papua, Indonesia
- 22 Jun 1957 23:50| 7.1 |59km / 37mi|64 years ago|208km / 129mi| South Pacific Ocean, 31 km NE of Pulau Monopariapi Island, Papua, Indonesia
- 10 Nov 1930 13:44| 6.9 |30km / 19mi|90 years ago|72km / 45mi| 216 km W of Jayapura, Papua, Indonesia
Hint: Click on Date/Time to show latest first