Strong mag. 6.0 earthquake - Kuril Islands (Russia) on Tuesday, 26 December 2006 at 15:19 (GMT)
Quake Data | Interactive map | User Reports | Aftershocks | Earlier quakes in same area | Quakes in Russia | Sakhalin Oblast | Moscow
Strong magnitude 6.0 earthquake at 10 km depth
Depth: 10.0 km
Epicenter latitude / longitude: 48.321°N / 154.837°E (Russia)
Nearest volcano: Kuntomintar (77 km / 48 mi)
Nearby towns and cities:
278 km (173 mi) SSW of Severo-Kuril'sk (pop: 2,420) --> See nearby quakes!
7063 km (4389 mi) NE of Moscow (pop: 10,381,200) --> See nearby quakes!
Primary data source: USGS (United States Geological Survey)
Estimated released energy: 6.3 x 1013 joules (17.5 gigawatt hours, equivalent to 15080 tons of TNT or 0.9 atomic bombs!) More info
Data for the same earthquake reported by different agencies
Info: The more agencies report about the same quake and post similar data, the more confidence you can have in the data. It takes normally up to a few hours until earthquake parameters are calculated with near-optimum precision.
|M 6.0||10 km||Kuril Islands (Russia)||USGS|
User reports for this quake
User reports estimate the perceived ground shaking intensity according to the MMI (Modified Mercalli Intensity) scale.
be the first to report it!There are no user reports for this quake yet. If you felt it
Aftershocks of the 6.0 quake Kuril Islands (Russia) 26 December 2006 15:19 GMT
More infoRecorded aftershocks, latest first (5 quakes):
- 16 May 2007 10:17 UTC| M 5.5 |10 km (6.2 mi) depth|60 km (37 mi) distance| USGS | Details
- 15 May 2007 11:22 UTC| M 5.3 |10 km (6.2 mi) depth|59 km (37 mi) distance| USGS | Details
- 28 Apr 2007 20:12 UTC| M 5.0 |45.2 km (28.1 mi) depth|27 km (17 mi) distance| USGS | Details
- 09 Apr 2007 10:18 UTC| M 5.8 |36 km (22.4 mi) depth|11 km (7 mi) distance| USGS | Details
- 27 Mar 2007 12:13 UTC| M 5.2 |30.6 km (19 mi) depth|48 km (30 mi) distance| USGS | Details