Moderate mag. 5.3 earthquake - Imām Şāḩib, 14 km northeast of Qarāwul, Imam Sahib, Kunduz, Afghanistan, on Friday, 22 June 2007 at 04:51 (GMT)
Quake Data | Interactive map | User Reports | Aftershocks | Earlier quakes in same area | Quakes in Afghanistan | Quakes in Tajikistan | Kunduz | Viloyati Khatlon | Takhar | Dushanbe | Balkh | Kabul
Moderate magnitude 5.3 earthquake at 31 km depth
1 Jan 00:00 UTC: First to report: USGS after 30 seconds.
Depth: 31.1 km
Epicenter latitude / longitude: 37.296°N / 68.903°E (Imām Şāḩib, Kunduz, Afghanistan)
Nearby towns and cities:
12 km (8 mi) NNW of Imām Şāḩib (pop: 9,660) --> See nearby quakes!
14 km (9 mi) NE of Qarāwul (Imam Sahib) (pop: 24,500) --> See nearby quakes!
39 km (24 mi) SE of Kolkhozobod (Rumi, Khatlon, Tajikistan) (pop: 18,500) --> See nearby quakes!
56 km (35 mi) WNW of Ārt Khwājah (Khwaja Ghar, Takhar) (pop: 18,600) --> See nearby quakes!
63 km (39 mi) N of Kunduz (pop: 161,900) --> See nearby quakes!
71 km (44 mi) NNW of Khanabad (pop: 71,500) --> See nearby quakes!
84 km (52 mi) NW of Taloqan (Takhar) (pop: 64,300) --> See nearby quakes!
138 km (86 mi) S of Dushanbe (Tajikistan) (pop: 679,400) --> See nearby quakes!
172 km (107 mi) ENE of Mazari Sharif (Balkh) (pop: 303,300) --> See nearby quakes!
309 km (192 mi) N of Kabul (pop: 3,043,500) --> See nearby quakes!
Primary data source: USGS (United States Geological Survey)
Estimated released energy: 5.6 x 1012 joules (1.56 gigawatt hours, equivalent to 1344 tons of TNT) More info
Data for the same earthquake reported by different agencies
Info: The more agencies report about the same quake and post similar data, the more confidence you can have in the data. It takes normally up to a few hours until earthquake parameters are calculated with near-optimum precision.
|5.3||31 km||Tajikistan (Afghanistan)||USGS|
User reports for this quake
User reports estimate the perceived ground shaking intensity according to the MMI (Modified Mercalli Intensity) scale.
More infoRecorded aftershocks, latest first (0 quakes):
So far, no aftershocks have been registered.
Earlier earthquakes in the same area since 1900
- 15 Nov 1921 20:36| 7.8 |240km / 149mi|100 years ago|202km / 125mi| Kuran Wa Munjan, 102 km S of Fayzabad, Faīẕābād, Badakhshan, Afghanistan
- 07 Jul 1909 21:37| 7.7 |200km / 124mi|112 years ago|244km / 152mi| Mandōl, Nuristan, 67 km E of Bāzārak, Panjshir, Afghanistan
- 04 Mar 1949 10:19| 7.5 |229km / 142mi|72 years ago|179km / 111mi| Yamgān, 36 km S of Jurm, Badakhshan, Afghanistan
- 03 Mar 2002 12:08| 7.4 |226km / 140mi|19 years ago|166km / 103mi| Tagāb, 69 km S of Fayzabad, Faīẕābād, Badakhshan, Afghanistan
- 29 Jul 1985 07:54| 7.4 |99km / 61mi|36 years ago|216km / 134mi| Kuran Wa Munjan, 107 km S of Fayzabad, Faīẕābād, Badakhshan, Afghanistan
- 30 Dec 1983 23:52| 7.4 |215km / 133mi|37 years ago|193km / 120mi| Yamgān, 84 km S of Fayzabad, Faīẕābād, Badakhshan, Afghanistan
- 14 Mar 1965 15:53| 7.4 |208km / 129mi|56 years ago|190km / 118mi| Yamgān, 52 km S of Jurm, Badakhshan, Afghanistan
- 09 Aug 1993 12:42| 7.0 |215km / 133mi|28 years ago|202km / 126mi| Yamgān, 86 km S of Fayzabad, Faīẕābād, Badakhshan, Afghanistan
- 24 Oct 1906 14:43| 7.0 |35km / 22mi|115 years ago|176km / 110mi| Nahri Shahi, 12 km E of Balkh, Afghanistan
- 30 May 1998 06:22| 6.6 |33km / 21mi|23 years ago|109km / 68mi| Shahr-e Buzurg, Badakhshan, 25 km E of Rustāq, Rustaq, Takhar, Afghanistan
Hint: Click on Date/Time to show latest first