Strong mag. 6.1 earthquake - South of the Fiji Islands (New Zealand) on Tuesday, 17 July 2007 at 09:39 (GMT)
Quake Data | Interactive map | User Reports | Aftershocks | Earlier quakes in same area | Quakes in New Zealand | Wellington
Strong magnitude 6.1 earthquake at 10 km depth
Depth: 10.0 km
Epicenter latitude / longitude: 26.206°S / 177.744°W (New Zealand)
Nearest volcano: Hinepuia (52 km / 32 mi)
Nearby towns and cities:
1813 km (1126 mi) NNE of Wellington (pop: 381,900) --> See nearby quakes!
Primary data source: USGS (United States Geological Survey)
Estimated released energy: 8.9 x 1013 joules (24.8 gigawatt hours, equivalent to 21301 tons of TNT or 1.3 atomic bombs!) More info
Data for the same earthquake reported by different agencies
Info: The more agencies report about the same quake and post similar data, the more confidence you can have in the data. It takes normally up to a few hours until earthquake parameters are calculated with near-optimum precision.
|M 6.1||10 km||south of the Fiji Islands (New Zealand)||USGS|
User reports for this quake
User reports estimate the perceived ground shaking intensity according to the MMI (Modified Mercalli Intensity) scale.
be the first to report it!There are no user reports for this quake yet. If you felt it
Aftershocks of the 6.1 quake South of the Fiji Islands (New Zealand) 17 July 2007 09:39 GMT
More infoRecorded aftershocks, latest first (6 quakes):
- 16 Dec 2007 15:22 UTC| M 5.2 |168.4 km (104.6 mi) depth|21 km (13 mi) distance| USGS | Details
- 09 Dec 2007 07:28 UTC| M 7.8 |152.5 km (94.8 mi) depth|33 km (20 mi) distance| USGS | Major magnitude. 7.8 earthquake - South of the Fiji Islands (New Zealand) on Sunday, 9 December 2007 at 07:28 (GMT)
- 19 Jul 2007 19:33 UTC| M 5.0 |10 km (6.2 mi) depth|38 km (24 mi) distance| USGS | Details
- 18 Jul 2007 23:51 UTC| M 5.7 |10 km (6.2 mi) depth|14 km (8 mi) distance| USGS | Details
- 18 Jul 2007 02:53 UTC| M 5.0 |10 km (6.2 mi) depth|9 km (6 mi) distance| USGS | Details
- 18 Jul 2007 00:07 UTC| M 6.1 |10 km (6.2 mi) depth|10 km (6 mi) distance| USGS | Strong mag. 6.1 earthquake - South of the Fiji Islands (New Zealand) on Wednesday, 18 July 2007 at 00:07 (GMT)