Strong mag. 5.0 earthquake - North Pacific Ocean, 58 km east of Chichijima Island, Japan, on Sunday, 16 March 2008 at 04:16 (GMT)
Quake Data | Interactive map | User Reports | Aftershocks | Earlier quakes in same area | Quakes in Japan
Strong magnitude 5.0 earthquake at 10 km depth
Date & time: 16 Mar 2008 04:16:47 UTC
Depth: 10.0 km
Epicenter latitude / longitude: 26.908°N / 142.763°E (North Pacific Ocean, Japan)
Nearest volcano: Kaikata (177 km / 110 mi)
Nearby towns and cities:
58 km (36 mi) ESE of Chichijima Island (pop: 2,000) --> See nearby quakes!
Primary data source: USGS (United States Geological Survey)
Estimated released energy: 2 x 1012 joules (554 megawatt hours, equivalent to 477 tons of TNT) More info
Data for the same earthquake reported by different agencies
Info: The more agencies report about the same quake and post similar data, the more confidence you can have in the data. It takes normally up to a few hours until earthquake parameters are calculated with near-optimum precision.
|M 5.0||10 km||Bonin Islands, Japan region||USGS|
User reports for this quake
User reports estimate the perceived ground shaking intensity according to the MMI (Modified Mercalli Intensity) scale.
be the first to report it!There are no user reports for this quake yet. If you felt it
More infoRecorded aftershocks, latest first (5 quakes):
- 28 Apr 2008 18:15 UTC| M 4.7 |35 km (21.7 mi) depth|18 km (11 mi) distance| USGS | Details
- 18 Apr 2008 13:18 UTC| M 4.8 |35 km (21.7 mi) depth|6 km (4 mi) distance| USGS | Details
- 24 Mar 2008 17:32 UTC| M 4.4 |35 km (21.7 mi) depth|17 km (11 mi) distance| USGS | Details
- 21 Mar 2008 20:11 UTC| M 4.6 |35 km (21.7 mi) depth|17 km (10 mi) distance| USGS | Details
- 18 Mar 2008 00:16 UTC| M 4.3 |38.2 km (23.7 mi) depth|7 km (4 mi) distance| USGS | Details