Mag. 4.3 earthquake - South Atlantic Ocean, Antarctica, on Tuesday, 20 Oct 2020 11:19 pm (GMT -3) -
Light magnitude 4.3 earthquake at 10 km depth
21 Oct 14:32 UTC: First to report: INPRES after 12 hours.
Local time at epicenter: Tuesday, 20 Oct 2020 11:19 pm (GMT -3)
Depth: 10.0 km
Epicenter latitude / longitude: 62.481°S / 58.525°W (South Atlantic Ocean, Antarctica)
Nearest volcano: Penguin Island (52 km / 32 mi)
Nearby towns and cities:
35 km (22 mi) S of Napier Rock Island --> See nearby quakes!
Primary data source: INPRES
Estimated released energy: 1.8 x 1011 joules (49.4 megawatt hours, equivalent to 42.5 tons of TNT) More info
Data for the same earthquake reported by different agencies
Info: The more agencies report about the same quake and post similar data, the more confidence you can have in the data. It takes normally up to a few hours until earthquake parameters are calculated with near-optimum precision.
|M 4.3||10 km||TFAIAS (Argentina), Antarctica||INPRES|
User reports for this quake
User reports estimate the perceived ground shaking intensity according to the MMI (Modified Mercalli Intensity) scale.
be the first to report it!There are no user reports for this quake yet. If you felt it
Earlier earthquakes in the same area since 1900Mag. 4.3 earthquake - South Atlantic Ocean, Antarctica, on Tuesday, 20 Oct 2020 11:19 pm (GMT -3)
- 17 Nov 2013 09:04| 7.8 |10km / 6.2mi|7 years ago|691km / 429mi| Scotia Sea
- 04 Aug 2003 04:37| 7.6 |10km / 6.2mi|17 years ago|829km / 515mi| Scotia Sea (Antarctica)
- 15 Jun 1970 11:14| 7.2 |10km / 6.2mi|51 years ago|955km / 593mi| Tierra Del Fuego, Argentina Region
- 25 Nov 2013 06:27| 7.0 |10km / 6.2mi|7 years ago|980km / 609mi| South Atlantic Ocean
- 08 Feb 1971 21:04| 7.0 |12.5km / 7.8mi|50 years ago|177km / 110mi| South Shetland Islands (Antarctica)
- 15 Jan 2012 13:40| 6.6 |8km / 5mi|9 years ago|213km / 132mi| South Shetland Islands (Antarctica)
- 17 Jun 1992 08:39| 6.2 |10km / 6.2mi|29 years ago|247km / 153mi| South Shetland Islands (Antarctica)
- 19 Apr 1964 14:12| 6.1 |10km / 6.2mi|57 years ago|226km / 140mi| South Shetland Islands (Antarctica)
- 15 Jan 2012 14:21| 6.0 |10km / 6.2mi|9 years ago|223km / 139mi| South Shetland Islands (Antarctica)
- 18 Jan 1981 03:06| 6.0 |22km / 14mi|40 years ago|225km / 140mi| South Shetland Islands (Antarctica)
Hint: Click on Date/Time to show latest first