Mag. 4.2 earthquake - South Atlantic Ocean, Antarctica, on Monday, 16 November 2020 at 11:21 (GMT) -
Light magnitude 4.2 earthquake at 5 km depth
16 Nov 11:32 UTC: First to report: GUG (U. Chile) after 11 minutes.
Depth: 5.0 km
Epicenter latitude / longitude: 62.405°S / 58.408°W (South Atlantic Ocean, Antarctica)
Nearest volcano: Penguin Island (42 km / 26 mi)
Nearby towns and cities:
27 km (16 mi) S of Napier Rock Island --> See nearby quakes!
65 km (41 mi) SSW of World's End Island --> See nearby quakes!
Primary data source: GUG (U. Chile)
Estimated released energy: 1.3 x 1011 joules (35 megawatt hours, equivalent to 30.1 tons of TNT) More info
Data for the same earthquake reported by different agencies
Info: The more agencies report about the same quake and post similar data, the more confidence you can have in the data. It takes normally up to a few hours until earthquake parameters are calculated with near-optimum precision.
|M 4.2||5 km||984 Km Al SE De Puerto Williams, Antarctica||GUG (U. Chile)|
|M 4.7||10 km||South Shetland Islands, Antarctica||USGS|
|M 4.7||10 km||SOUTH SHETLAND ISLANDS, Antarctica||EMSC|
User reports for this quake
User reports estimate the perceived ground shaking intensity according to the MMI (Modified Mercalli Intensity) scale.
be the first to report it!There are no user reports for this quake yet. If you felt it
Earlier earthquakes in the same area since 1900Mag. 4.2 earthquake - South Atlantic Ocean, Antarctica, on Monday, 16 November 2020 at 11:21 (GMT)
- 08 Feb 1971 21:04| 7.0 |12.5km / 7.8mi|50 years ago|187km / 116mi| South Shetland Islands (Antarctica)
- 06 Nov 2020 23:49| 6.0 |15km / 9.3mi|10 weeks ago|16km / 10mi| South Shetland Islands, Antarctica
- 02 Oct 2020 10:17| 5.8 |10km / 6.2mi|15 weeks ago|21km / 13mi| South Shetland Islands, Antarctica
- 27 Aug 2018 20:09| 5.6 |64km / 40mi|2 years ago|62km / 38mi| South Shetland Islands
- 06 Oct 2020 13:56| 5.4 |10km / 6.2mi|14 weeks ago|7km / 5mi| South Shetland Islands, Antarctica
- 05 Oct 2020 13:56| 5.3 |10km / 6.2mi|15 weeks ago|4km / 3mi| TFAIAS (Argentina), Antarctica
- 24 Oct 2020 10:40| 5.2 |10km / 6.2mi|12 weeks ago|8km / 5mi| South Shetland Islands, Antarctica
- 18 Oct 2020 00:05| 5.2 |10km / 6.2mi|13 weeks ago|7km / 4mi| South Shetland Islands, Antarctica
- 19 Sep 2020 11:11| 5.2 |10km / 6.2mi|17 weeks ago|11km / 7mi| South Shetland Islands, Antarctica
- 01 Sep 2020 10:56| 5.2 |10km / 6.2mi|20 weeks ago|3km / 2mi| South Shetland Islands (Antarctica)
Hint: Click on Date/Time to show latest first