Light mag. 4.8 earthquake - Enga Province, 71 km north of Tari, Papua New Guinea, on Saturday, 13 Feb 2021 6:50 am (GMT +10) -
Quake Data | Interactive map | User Reports | Earlier quakes in same area | Quakes in Papua New Guinea | Quakes in Indonesia| Enga Province | Southern Highlands Province | Western Highlands Province | Western Province | East Sepik Province | Eastern Highlands Province | Madang Province | Papua | National Capital
Light magnitude 4.8 earthquake at 56 km depth
12 Feb 22:24 UTC: First to report: GFZ after 1 hour and 33 minutes.
Date & time: 12 Feb 2021 20:50:43 UTC -
Local time at epicenter: Saturday, 13 Feb 2021 6:50 am (GMT +10)
Depth: 56.0 km
Epicenter latitude / longitude: 5.27°S / 142.83°E (Enga Province, Papua New Guinea)
Nearest volcano: Doma Peaks (79 km / 49 mi)
Nearby towns and cities:
71 km (44 mi) N of Tari (pop: 8,190) --> See nearby quakes!
102 km (63 mi) WNW of Wabag (Enga) (pop: 3,960) --> See nearby quakes!
134 km (83 mi) NW of Mendi (Southern Highlands) (pop: 26,300) --> See nearby quakes!
168 km (105 mi) WNW of Mt Hagen (Dei District, Western Highlands) (pop: 33,600) --> See nearby quakes!
195 km (121 mi) ENE of Kiunga (North Fly, Western Province) (pop: 11,500) --> See nearby quakes!
211 km (131 mi) SSW of Wewak (East Sepik) (pop: 18,200) --> See nearby quakes!
297 km (185 mi) WNW of Goroka (Eastern Highlands) (pop: 18,500) --> See nearby quakes!
328 km (204 mi) W of Madang (pop: 27,400) --> See nearby quakes!
384 km (239 mi) SE of Hollandia (Papua, Indonesia) (pop: 134,900) --> See nearby quakes!
668 km (415 mi) NW of Port Moresby (National Capital) (pop: 283,700) --> See nearby quakes!
Primary data source: GFZ (German Research Centre for Geosciences)
Estimated released energy: 1 x 1012 joules (278 megawatt hours, equivalent to 239 tons of TNT) More info
Data for the same earthquake reported by different agencies
Info: The more agencies report about the same quake and post similar data, the more confidence you can have in the data. It takes normally up to a few hours until earthquake parameters are calculated with near-optimum precision.
|4.8||56 km||New Guinea, Papua New Guinea||GFZ|
|4.6||60 km||NEW GUINEA, PAPUA NEW GUINEA||EMSC|
|4.6||48 km||40 Km NW of Porgera, Papua New Guinea||USGS|
|5.1||106 km||New Guinea, Papua New Guinea||BMKG|
User reports for this quake
User reports estimate the perceived ground shaking intensity according to the MMI (Modified Mercalli Intensity) scale.There are no user reports for this quake yet. If you felt it be the first to report it!
Earlier earthquakes in the same area since 1900
- 20 Sep 1935 01:46| 7.8 |30km / 19mi|86 years ago|225km / 140mi| 127 km S of Vanimo, West Sepik Province, Papua New Guinea
- 08 Sep 2002 18:44| 7.6 |13km / 8.1mi|19 years ago|219km / 136mi| Bismarck Sea, 81 km W of Wewak, East Sepik Province, Papua New Guinea
- 03 Jul 1918 06:52| 7.5 |15km / 9.3mi|103 years ago|238km / 148mi| Bismarck Sea, 21 km N of Keresau Island, East Sepik Province, Papua New Guinea
- 29 Jul 1917 21:52| 7.4 |35km / 22mi|104 years ago|225km / 140mi| 116 km S of Vanimo, West Sepik Province, Papua New Guinea
- 25 Feb 2018 17:44| 7.3 |10km / 6.2mi|3 years ago|89km / 55mi| Western Province, 29 km SW of Tari, Papua New Guinea
- 24 Jun 1986 03:11| 7.2 |102km / 64mi|35 years ago|154km / 95mi| 106 km S of Wewak, East Sepik Province, Papua New Guinea
- 23 Oct 1968 21:04| 7.0 |15km / 9.3mi|53 years ago|222km / 138mi| Bismarck Sea, 20 km W of Keresau Island, East Sepik Province, Papua New Guinea
- 20 Sep 1935 05:23| 7.0 |35km / 22mi|86 years ago|168km / 104mi| 53 km N of Ambunti, East Sepik Province, Papua New Guinea
- 07 Aug 1931 02:11| 7.0 |35km / 22mi|90 years ago|222km / 138mi| West Sepik Province, 43 km SW of Aitape, Sandaun, Papua New Guinea
- 09 Jun 1925 13:40| 7.0 |25km / 16mi|96 years ago|156km / 97mi| 55 km S of Wewak, East Sepik Province, Papua New Guinea
Hint: Click on Date/Time to show latest first