Moderate mag. 3.9 earthquake - 38 km southeast of Mexicali, Baja California, Mexico, on 2021-03-31 12:42:18 (Hora de México) -
Quake Data | Interactive map | User Reports | Earlier quakes in same area | Quakes in Mexico | Quakes in the US | Baja California | Arizona | Sonora | California
Moderate magnitude 3.9 earthquake at 9 km depth
1 Apr 02:14 UTC: First to report: SSN after 8 hours.
Local time at epicenter: 2021-03-31 12:42:18 (Hora de México)
Depth: 9.0 km
Epicenter latitude / longitude: 32.43°N / 115.13°W (Mexicali Municipality, Baja California, Mexico)
Nearest volcano: Salton Buttes (97 km / 60 mi)
Nearby towns and cities:
1 km (0 mi) NW of Saltillo (pop: 1,560) --> See nearby quakes!
10 km (6 mi) NE of Delta (pop: 5,180) --> See nearby quakes!
16 km (10 mi) N of Guadalupe Victoria (pop: 17,100) --> See nearby quakes!
21 km (13 mi) SW of Tecolots (Poblado Benito Juárez) (pop: 5,260) --> See nearby quakes!
26 km (16 mi) SE of Puebla (pop: 15,200) --> See nearby quakes!
33 km (21 mi) W of San Luis (Yuma County, Arizona, USA) (pop: 31,500) --> See nearby quakes!
34 km (21 mi) W of San Luis Rio Colorado (Sonora) (pop: 158,100) --> See nearby quakes!
38 km (23 mi) SE of Mexicali (pop: 689,800) --> See nearby quakes!
44 km (28 mi) SE of Calexico (California, USA) (pop: 40,100) --> See nearby quakes!
48 km (30 mi) ESE of Santa Isabel (pop: 29,300) --> See nearby quakes!
Primary data source: SSN (Servicio Sismológico Nacional)
Estimated released energy: 4.5 x 1010 joules (12.4 megawatt hours, equivalent to 10.7 tons of TNT) More info
Data for the same earthquake reported by different agencies
Info: The more agencies report about the same quake and post similar data, the more confidence you can have in the data. It takes normally up to a few hours until earthquake parameters are calculated with near-optimum precision.
|3.9||9 km||17 Km Al NORTE De GPE VICTORIA(KM.43), BC, Mexico||SSN|
User reports for this quake
User reports estimate the perceived ground shaking intensity according to the MMI (Modified Mercalli Intensity) scale.
Earlier earthquakes in the same area since 1900
- 28 Jun 1992 11:57| 7.3 |unknown|29 years ago|231km / 144mi| 5.9 mi N of Yucca Valley, San Bernardino Comitatus County, California, USA
- 04 Apr 2010 22:40| 7.2 |10km / 6.2mi|11 years ago|22km / 14mi| Ejido Cucapah Indígena, 5.8 km NW of Durango, Mexico
- 21 Nov 1915 00:13| 7.0 |unknown|106 years ago|49km / 31mi| El Indiviso, Sonora, 3.1 km SW of Ejido Doctor Alberto Oviedo Mota (El Indiviso), Mexico
- 19 May 1940 04:36| 6.9 |6km / 3.7mi|81 years ago|52km / 32mi| California, 2.3 mi N of Holtville, Imperial County, USA
- 09 Feb 1956 14:32| 6.8 |6km / 3.7mi|65 years ago|123km / 77mi| Rancho El Alamar, 35 km E of Ensenada, Baja California, Mexico
- 24 Nov 1987 13:15| 6.6 |11.2km / 7mi|34 years ago|94km / 58mi| 23 mi NW of El Centro, Imperial County, California, USA
- 09 Apr 1968 02:28| 6.6 |10km / 6.2mi|53 years ago|123km / 77mi| San Diego County, 12 mi SW of Salton City, Imperial County, California, USA
- 21 Oct 1942 16:22| 6.6 |6km / 3.7mi|79 years ago|86km / 54mi| 15 mi W of Brawley, Imperial County, California, USA
- 07 Aug 1966 17:36| 6.5 |15km / 9.3mi|55 years ago|104km / 65mi| Gulf of California, 3 km SW of Playa el Machorro, Mexico
- 15 Oct 1979 23:16| 6.4 |15km / 9.3mi|42 years ago|34km / 21mi| 9.9 km NE of Mexicali, Baja California, Mexico
Hint: Click on Date/Time to show latest first