Light mag. 3.9 earthquake - 33 km southeast of Mexicali, Baja California, Mexico, on 2021-04-01 09:18:39 (Hora de México) -
Quake Data | Interactive map | User Reports | Earlier quakes in same area | Quakes in Mexico | Quakes in the US | Baja California | Arizona | California | Sonora
Light magnitude 3.9 earthquake at 12 km depth
2 Apr 02:00 UTC: First to report: SSN after 11 hours.
Local time at epicenter: 2021-04-01 09:18:39 (Hora de México)
Depth: 12.0 km
Epicenter latitude / longitude: 32.42°N / 115.2°W (Mexicali Municipality, Baja California, Mexico)
Nearest volcano: Salton Buttes (95 km / 59 mi)
Nearby towns and cities:
1 km (1 mi) NW of Ejido Nuevo Leon (pop: 3,660) --> See nearby quakes!
11 km (7 mi) ESE of Ejido Michoacan de Ocampo (pop: 3,090) --> See nearby quakes!
12 km (8 mi) WSW of Ejido Quintana Roo (pop: 2,310) --> See nearby quakes!
17 km (11 mi) NNW of Guadalupe Victoria (pop: 17,100) --> See nearby quakes!
22 km (14 mi) SE of Puebla (pop: 15,200) --> See nearby quakes!
33 km (21 mi) SE of Mexicali (pop: 689,800) --> See nearby quakes!
40 km (25 mi) W of San Luis (Yuma County, Arizona, USA) (pop: 31,500) --> See nearby quakes!
40 km (25 mi) SE of Calexico (California, USA) (pop: 40,100) --> See nearby quakes!
40 km (25 mi) W of San Luis Rio Colorado (Sonora) (pop: 158,100) --> See nearby quakes!
43 km (26 mi) ESE of Santa Isabel (pop: 29,300) --> See nearby quakes!
Primary data source: SSN (Servicio Sismológico Nacional)
Estimated released energy: 4.5 x 1010 joules (12.4 megawatt hours, equivalent to 10.7 tons of TNT) More info
Data for the same earthquake reported by different agencies
Info: The more agencies report about the same quake and post similar data, the more confidence you can have in the data. It takes normally up to a few hours until earthquake parameters are calculated with near-optimum precision.
|3.9||12 km||17 Km Al NOROESTE De GPE VICTORIA(KM.43), BC, Mexico||SSN|
User reports for this quake
User reports estimate the perceived ground shaking intensity according to the MMI (Modified Mercalli Intensity) scale.
Earlier earthquakes in the same area since 1900
- 28 Jun 1992 11:57| 7.3 |unknown|29 years ago|229km / 142mi| 5.9 mi N of Yucca Valley, San Bernardino Comitatus County, California, USA
- 04 Apr 2010 22:40| 7.2 |10km / 6.2mi|11 years ago|17km / 11mi| Ejido Cucapah Indígena, 5.8 km NW of Durango, Mexico
- 21 Nov 1915 00:13| 7.0 |unknown|106 years ago|50km / 31mi| El Indiviso, Sonora, 3.1 km SW of Ejido Doctor Alberto Oviedo Mota (El Indiviso), Mexico
- 19 May 1940 04:36| 6.9 |6km / 3.7mi|81 years ago|50km / 31mi| California, 2.3 mi N of Holtville, Imperial County, USA
- 09 Feb 1956 14:32| 6.8 |6km / 3.7mi|65 years ago|117km / 73mi| Rancho El Alamar, 35 km E of Ensenada, Baja California, Mexico
- 24 Nov 1987 13:15| 6.6 |11.2km / 7mi|34 years ago|90km / 56mi| 23 mi NW of El Centro, Imperial County, California, USA
- 09 Apr 1968 02:28| 6.6 |10km / 6.2mi|53 years ago|119km / 74mi| San Diego County, 12 mi SW of Salton City, Imperial County, California, USA
- 21 Oct 1942 16:22| 6.6 |6km / 3.7mi|79 years ago|83km / 51mi| 15 mi W of Brawley, Imperial County, California, USA
- 07 Aug 1966 17:36| 6.5 |15km / 9.3mi|55 years ago|107km / 66mi| Gulf of California, 3 km SW of Playa el Machorro, Mexico
- 15 Oct 1979 23:16| 6.4 |15km / 9.3mi|42 years ago|31km / 19mi| 9.9 km NE of Mexicali, Baja California, Mexico
Hint: Click on Date/Time to show latest first