Minor mag. 2.5 earthquake - Kazuno Shi, 20 km north of Hanawa, Kazuno, Akita, Japan, on Apr 12, 2021 20:16:55.89 -
Quake Data | Interactive map | User Reports | Earlier quakes in same area | Quakes in Japan| Akita | Aomori | Tokyo
Minor magnitude 2.5 earthquake at 116 km depth
12 Apr 11:23 UTC: First to report: NIED after 6 minutes.
Date & time: 12 Apr 2021 11:16:55 UTC -
Local time at epicenter: Apr 12, 2021 20:16:55.89
Depth: 116.4 km
Epicenter latitude / longitude: 40.359°N / 140.832°E (Kazuno Shi, Akita, Japan)
Nearest volcano: Towada (14 km / 9 mi)
Nearby towns and cities:
20 km (12 mi) N of Hanawa (Kazuno) (pop: 36,900) --> See nearby quakes!
25 km (16 mi) ENE of Ōdate (pop: 64,500) --> See nearby quakes!
38 km (24 mi) SE of Kuroishi (Aomori) (pop: 38,600) --> See nearby quakes!
40 km (25 mi) SE of Hirosaki (Aomori) (pop: 175,000) --> See nearby quakes!
42 km (26 mi) ENE of Takanosu (Kitaakita) (pop: 20,500) --> See nearby quakes!
44 km (27 mi) SSE of Namioka (Aomori) (pop: 20,700) --> See nearby quakes!
59 km (36 mi) WSW of Hachinohe (Aomori) (pop: 239,000) --> See nearby quakes!
70 km (44 mi) ENE of Noshiro (pop: 51,100) --> See nearby quakes!
94 km (58 mi) NE of Akita (pop: 320,100) --> See nearby quakes!
529 km (329 mi) N of Tokyo (pop: 8,336,600) --> See nearby quakes!
Primary data source: NIED (National Research Institute for Earth Science and Disaster Resilience)
Estimated released energy: 3.5 x 108 joules (98.6 kilowatt hours) More info
Data for the same earthquake reported by different agencies
Info: The more agencies report about the same quake and post similar data, the more confidence you can have in the data. It takes normally up to a few hours until earthquake parameters are calculated with near-optimum precision.
|2.5||116 km||NORTHERN AKITA PREF, Japan||NIED|
User reports for this quakeAt magnitude 2.5, this quake might have been felt very close to the epicenter and under calm conditions.
User reports estimate the perceived ground shaking intensity according to the MMI (Modified Mercalli Intensity) scale.There are no user reports for this quake yet. If you felt it be the first to report it!
Earlier earthquakes in the same area since 1900
- 16 May 1968 00:49| 8.2 |30km / 19mi|53 years ago|227km / 141mi| North Pacific Ocean, 227 km E of Aomori, Japan
- 20 Mar 1960 17:07| 8.0 |15km / 9.3mi|61 years ago|211km / 131mi| North Pacific Ocean, 113 km E of Miyako, Iwate, Japan
- 16 May 1968 10:39| 7.9 |25km / 16mi|53 years ago|208km / 129mi| North Pacific Ocean, 138 km E of Mutsu, Aomori, Japan
- 28 Dec 1994 12:19| 7.8 |27km / 16mi|26 years ago|220km / 137mi| North Pacific Ocean, 162 km E of Hachinohe, Aomori, Japan
- 09 Mar 1931 03:49| 7.8 |35km / 22mi|90 years ago|135km / 84mi| North Pacific Ocean, 76 km E of Hachinohe, Aomori, Japan
- 01 Nov 1989 18:25| 7.4 |29km / 18mi|32 years ago|174km / 108mi| North Pacific Ocean, 73 km E of Miyako, Iwate, Japan
- 26 May 1983 02:59| 7.4 |24km / 15mi|38 years ago|147km / 91mi| Japan Sea, 83 km W of Noshiro, Akita, Japan
- 10 Feb 1945 04:57| 7.2 |59km / 36mi|76 years ago|128km / 80mi| North Pacific Ocean, 76 km NE of Hachinohe, Aomori, Japan
- 13 Jun 1943 05:11| 7.2 |35km / 22mi|78 years ago|221km / 137mi| North Pacific Ocean, 218 km E of Aomori, Japan
- 27 May 1928 09:50| 7.2 |35km / 22mi|93 years ago|176km / 109mi| North Pacific Ocean, 81 km NE of Miyako, Iwate, Japan
Hint: Click on Date/Time to show latest first