Light mag. 3.6 earthquake - 49 km southeast of Padangsidempuan, Sumatera Utara, Indonesia, on Wednesday, 14 April 2021 at 06:18 (GMT) -
Quake Data | Interactive map | User Reports | Earlier quakes in same area | Quakes in Indonesia | Quakes in Malaysia | North Sumatra | West Sumatra | Kuala Lumpur
Light magnitude 3.6 earthquake at 10 km depth
14 Apr 06:25 UTC: First to report: BMKG after 7 minutes.
Depth: 10.0 km
Epicenter latitude / longitude: 1.06°N / 99.58°E (North Sumatra, Indonesia)
Nearest volcano: Sorikmarapi (42 km / 26 mi)
Nearby towns and cities:
49 km (31 mi) SE of Padangsidempuan (North Sumatra) (pop: 100,600) --> See nearby quakes!
112 km (69 mi) S of Bandar (Kabupaten Labuhan Batu, North Sumatra) (pop: 31,400) --> See nearby quakes!
117 km (72 mi) SE of Sibolga (North Sumatra) (pop: 79,700) --> See nearby quakes!
119 km (74 mi) SSW of Rantauprapat (North Sumatra) (pop: 103,000) --> See nearby quakes!
176 km (109 mi) NNW of Bukittinggi (West Sumatra) (pop: 98,700) --> See nearby quakes!
213 km (133 mi) S of Tanjungbalai (North Sumatra) (pop: 142,500) --> See nearby quakes!
214 km (133 mi) S of Kisaran (North Sumatra) (pop: 129,900) --> See nearby quakes!
239 km (149 mi) NNW of Padang (West Sumatra) (pop: 840,400) --> See nearby quakes!
298 km (185 mi) SSE of Medan (North Sumatra) (pop: 1,751,000) --> See nearby quakes!
329 km (205 mi) SW of Kuala Lumpur (Malaysia) (pop: 1,454,000) --> See nearby quakes!
Primary data source: BMKG (Meteorological, Climatological, and Geophysical Agency of Indonesia)
Estimated released energy: 1.6 x 1010 joules (4.4 megawatt hours, equivalent to 3.79 tons of TNT) More info
Data for the same earthquake reported by different agencies
Info: The more agencies report about the same quake and post similar data, the more confidence you can have in the data. It takes normally up to a few hours until earthquake parameters are calculated with near-optimum precision.
|3.6||10 km||Northern Sumatra, Indonesia||BMKG|
|3.6||10 km||NORTHERN SUMATRA, INDONESIA||EMSC|
User reports for this quake
User reports estimate the perceived ground shaking intensity according to the MMI (Modified Mercalli Intensity) scale.
Earlier earthquakes in the same area since 1900
- 09 Jun 1943 03:06| 7.8 |10km / 6.2mi|78 years ago|246km / 153mi| 9.3 km E of Solok, Sumatera Barat, Indonesia
- 30 Sep 2009 10:16| 7.6 |81km / 50mi|12 years ago|201km / 125mi| Indian Ocean, 30 km W of Pariaman, Sumatera Barat, Indonesia
- 28 Dec 1935 02:35| 7.6 |30km / 19mi|86 years ago|210km / 131mi| Indian Ocean, 25 km SW of Pulau Tanahmasa Island, North Sumatra, Indonesia
- 08 May 1946 05:20| 7.3 |35km / 22mi|75 years ago|208km / 129mi| Indian Ocean, 72 km N of Siberut Island, Sumatera Barat, Indonesia
- 17 Nov 1984 06:49| 7.1 |33km / 21mi|37 years ago|198km / 123mi| Indian Ocean, 112 km SE of Nias Island, North Sumatra, Indonesia
- 01 Apr 1998 17:56| 7.0 |56km / 35mi|23 years ago|182km / 113mi| Indian Ocean, 96 km W of Pariaman, Sumatera Barat, Indonesia
- 04 Feb 1971 15:33| 7.0 |30km / 19mi|50 years ago|107km / 66mi| Indian Ocean, 102 km SW of Padangsidempuan, North Sumatra, Indonesia
- 14 May 2005 05:05| 6.7 |34km / 21mi|16 years ago|135km / 84mi| Indian Ocean, 126 km SW of Padangsidempuan, North Sumatra, Indonesia
- 02 Jan 1936 22:34| 6.7 |30km / 19mi|86 years ago|147km / 92mi| Indian Ocean, 47 km SW of Pulau Pangkal Island, Sumatera Barat, Indonesia
- 29 Aug 1950 22:27| 6.3 |55km / 34mi|71 years ago|100km / 62mi| Indian Ocean, 32 km NW of Pulau Labu Island, Indonesia
Hint: Click on Date/Time to show latest first