Light mag. 3.4 earthquake - 25 km southeast of Mexicali, Baja California, Mexico, on 2021-07-12 14:20:10 (Hora de México) -
Quake Data | Interactive map | User Reports | Earlier quakes here | Quakes in Mexico | Quakes in the US | Baja California | California
Light magnitude 3.4 earthquake at 8 km depth
13 Jul 01:14 UTC: First to report: SSN after 6 hours.
Local time at epicenter: 2021-07-12 14:20:10 (Hora de México)
Depth: 8.0 km
Epicenter latitude / longitude: 32.48°N / 115.26°W↗ (Mexicali Municipality, Baja California, Mexico)
Antipode: 32.48°S / 64.74°E↗
Nearest volcano: Salton Buttes (87 km / 54 mi)
Nearby towns and cities:
2 km (1 mi) WSW of Chihuahua (pop: 628) --> See nearby quakes!
13 km (8 mi) SE of Puebla (pop: 15,200) --> See nearby quakes!
15 km (9 mi) NNW of Delta (pop: 5,180) --> See nearby quakes!
17 km (10 mi) W of Ejido Quintana Roo (pop: 2,310) --> See nearby quakes!
25 km (15 mi) SE of Mexicali (pop: 689,800) --> See nearby quakes!
26 km (16 mi) NW of Guadalupe Victoria (pop: 17,100) --> See nearby quakes!
28 km (17 mi) WSW of Tecolots (Poblado Benito Juárez) (pop: 5,260) --> See nearby quakes!
31 km (20 mi) SE of Calexico (California, USA) (pop: 40,100) --> See nearby quakes!
32 km (20 mi) ESE of Progreso (pop: 12,600) --> See nearby quakes!
34 km (21 mi) ESE of Santa Isabel (pop: 29,300) --> See nearby quakes!
Primary data source: SSN (Servicio Sismológico Nacional)
Estimated released energy: 7.9 x 109 joules (2.21 megawatt hours, equivalent to 1.9 tons of TNT) More info
Data for the same earthquake reported by different agencies
Info: The more agencies report about the same quake and post similar data, the more confidence you can have in the data. It takes normally up to a few hours until earthquake parameters are calculated with near-optimum precision.
|3.4||8 km||Mexico: 26 Km Al NOROESTE De GPE VICTORIA(KM.43), BC||SSN|
User reports for this quake
User reports estimate the perceived ground shaking intensity according to the MMI (Modified Mercalli Intensity) scale.
Earlier earthquakes in the same area since 1900
- 28 Jun 1992 11:57| 7.3 |unknown|29 years ago|220km / 137mi| 5.9 mi N of Yucca Valley, San Bernardino County, California, USA
- 04 Apr 2010 22:40| 7.2 |10km / 6.2mi|12 years ago|22km / 14mi| Ejido Cucapah Indígena, 6 km W of Ejido Sonora, Mexico
- 21 Nov 1915 00:13| 7.0 |unknown|106 years ago|59km / 36mi| El Indiviso, Sonora, 3.1 km SW of Ejido Doctor Alberto Oviedo Mota (El Indiviso), Mexico
- 19 May 1940 04:36| 6.9 |6km / 3.7mi|81 years ago|42km / 26mi| 2.3 mi N of Holtville, Imperial County, California, USA
- 09 Feb 1956 14:32| 6.8 |6km / 3.7mi|66 years ago|116km / 72mi| Rancho El Alamar, 35 km E of Ensenada, Baja California, Mexico
- 24 Nov 1987 13:15| 6.6 |11.2km / 7mi|34 years ago|81km / 51mi| 23 mi NW of El Centro, Imperial County, California, USA
- 09 Apr 1968 02:28| 6.6 |10km / 6.2mi|54 years ago|111km / 69mi| San Diego County, 12 mi SW of Salton City, Imperial County, California, USA
- 21 Oct 1942 16:22| 6.6 |6km / 3.7mi|79 years ago|74km / 46mi| 15 mi W of Brawley, Imperial County, California, USA
- 07 Aug 1966 17:36| 6.5 |15km / 9.3mi|55 years ago|116km / 72mi| Gulf of California, 3 km SW of Playa el Machorro, Mexico
- 15 Oct 1979 23:16| 6.4 |15km / 9.3mi|42 years ago|23km / 14mi| 9.9 km NE of Mexicali, Baja California, Mexico
Hint: Click on Date/Time to show latest first