- 8-days hiking & study tour on Mt. Etna volcano, Italy -
In case of an eruption, the program will be adapted to prioritize accessing the activity if possible and conditions allowing.
- Get to know Etna in depth: 6 full days on Etna
- Good chances to see eruptive activity
- Flexibility on location
- Spectacular landscapes on an active volcano
- Unusual excursions off the beaten track with Etna experts
- See all 4 sides of Etna
- Excellent Sicilian food
- Full traverse of the summit of Etna from S to N
- Hike through the impressive Valle del Bove
- Wine tasting of the excellent Etna red and white wine
- Accompanying volcanologist
8 days Etna
Changes in the exact itinerary could be necessary due to unpredictable weather and volcanic eruption conditions. In case of an eruption, seeing it will be prioritized.
Arrival in Catania, and own transfer to hotel in city center (bus, taxi).
In the evening, we meet for dinner and a briefing of the tour ahead.
We check-out from the hotel and are transferred to La Sapienza (Etna south), where we take a cable car and 4x4 to reach 2900 m elevation.
From here, we hike to the summit area to explore the summit craters. Afterwards, we descend along a scenic route to the northern side, endig the hikne at Piano Provenzana, from where we'll drive to our nearby mountain hut. (Luggage will be transported from the hotel to there independently.)
Duration: 6 hours hike, uphill: 2900-3300 m, downhill 3300-1900 m
Today, we undertake an excursion on Etna's north side which has a completely different character- dominated by green forests and lava deserts.
Full day tour on Etna nord, starting from Mt. Sartorius to the bottom line of 2002 eruption.
5 hours hike, uphill 1700-2500 m, downhill 2500-1900 m
Today we do a tour to Etna nord-est and climb to Serracozzo for an overview of the Valle del Leone. Alternatively, we can hike to the Grotta del Gelo (7 hours!)
5 hours, uphill 1800-2600 m, same downhill
Excursion to Castelmola and Taormina, gorge of Alcantara, in the afternoon wine tasting.
Lunch on this day is not included.
Full day tour across the Valle del Bove.
Drive to Etna sud and cable car to 2500 m. Descent to the Valle del Bove and exit on Piano del Vescovo. After the tour drive to Acicastello for the pillow lava formations.
Drive back to mountain hut on Etna nord.
5 hours, uphill 2500-2600 m, downhill: 2600-1400 m
Departure from the mountain hut with baggage. Drive to Etna west. Trek to Monte dei Fiori
Drive to Catania and check in hotel (same hotel as on day 1). Farewell dinner.
4 hours, ring hike on 1600-1800 m
End of the tour or own extension.
The tour starts and ends in Catania, Sicily´s second largest city, which is easily reached by plane or train from Rome or other large Italian cities. Travel arrangements to and from Catania are not included in the tour package in order to give everybody maximum flexibility to plan his/her trip. Please let us know if you like any assistance with your international travel to Italy and/or Catania - we will be happy to help.
Group size: 5-10
Duration: 8 days / 7 nights
Dates:25 May - 1 Jun 2019
Price (p.p.): 2100 € ?
- 7 nights accommodation in double rooms
- Full board (breakfast, dinners and picknick lunches as indicated with B, L, D)
- Fully authorized volcanologist mountain guide
- Entrance, park fees and taxes
- Cableway and jeep transfers where necessary
- All transfers from and to Catania
- Accompanying English-speaking volcanologist