Moderate mag. 5.8 earthquake - South of the Fiji Islands (New Zealand) on Monday, 20 September 1982 at 17:05 (GMT)
Quake Data | Interactive map | User Reports | Aftershocks | Earlier quakes in same area | Quakes in New Zealand | Wellington
Moderate magnitude 5.8 earthquake at 33 km depth
Profondeur: 33.0 km
Epicenter latitude / longitude: 26.976°S / 176.197°W (Nouvelle-Zélande)
Volcan le plus près: Rakahore (121 km / 75 mi)
Nearby towns and cities:
1793 km NNE de Wellington (pop: 381,900) --> Voir les séismes à proximité!
Primary data source: USGS (United States Geological Survey)
Estimated released energy: 3.2 x 1013 joules (8.78 gigawatt hours, equivalent to 7558 tons of TNT or 0.5 atomic bombs!) More info
Data for the same earthquake reported by different agencies
Info: The more agencies report about the same quake and post similar data, the more confidence you can have in the data. It takes normally up to a few hours until earthquake parameters are calculated with near-optimum precision.
|M 5.8||33 km||south of the Fiji Islands (New Zealand)||USGS|
User reports for this quake
User reports estimate the perceived ground shaking intensity according to the MMI (Modified Mercalli Intensity) scale.
be the first to report it!There are no user reports for this quake yet. If you felt it
Aftershocks of the 5.8 quake South of the Fiji Islands (New Zealand) 20 September 1982 17:05 GMT
More infoRecorded aftershocks, latest first (5 quakes):
- 15 Oct 1982 22:33 UTC| M 4.7 |33 km (20.5 mi) depth|24 km (15 mi) distance| USGS | Details
- 23 Sep 1982 23:59 UTC| M 4.9 |33 km (20.5 mi) depth|23 km (14 mi) distance| USGS | Details
- 22 Sep 1982 21:25 UTC| M 5.2 |33 km (20.5 mi) depth|10 km (7 mi) distance| USGS | Details
- 20 Sep 1982 19:32 UTC| M 5.3 |33 km (20.5 mi) depth|43 km (27 mi) distance| USGS | Details
- 20 Sep 1982 19:30 UTC| M 4.7 |33 km (20.5 mi) depth|6 km (4 mi) distance| USGS | Details