- 8 days expedition to Erta Ale and Dallol (Danakil depression, Ethiopia) -
- 2 full nights/ days on the summit of Erta Ale active volcano
- 2 days to explore Dallol, Assale salt lake and camel caravans
- Experienced Ethiopian volcanologist as main guide
- Small international group
- Dedicated supply vehicle with excellent camping cook
- Competent and friendly team and drivers
- Interaction with Afar people, introduction into local customs
8 days itinerary
8 days expedition to the heart of the Danakil desert to explore the ongoing volcanic activity of Erta Ale and the fascinating alien landscape of the hydrothermal deposits at Dallol, Assale salt lake and the camel caravans
Arrival at the airport of Addis Ababa, transfer to the hotel and welcome dinner
Morning flight from Addis Ababa to Mekele, jeep safari to Erta Ale basecamp and midnight ascend of the volcano's summit
Hiking expedition to the site on the volcano's flank where since January 2017 a new eruption is going on.
Full day and night on Erta Ale to observe the volcanic activity and phenomena in the summit caldera
Early morning descend from Erta Ale back down to basecamp, breakfast, 4X4 drive to return to the main road and continue our journey to the Afar village of Hamed Ela.
From our base in Hamed Ela we undertake a number of morning and afternoon expeditions to explore the colourful hydrothermal system of Dallol, the vast salt deposits and saline Lake Assale, the traditional way of salt cutting and transport by camel caravans.
This day is reserved for the irregularly formed salt deposits and colourful acid ponds south of Dallol. In the afternoon we leave the Dallol area and drive up to the highlands and spend the night in Mekele.
Our service ends with your transfer to the airport of Mekele from where you fly back to Addis Ababa.
It is also possible to shorten this program to 6 days by joining in on the morning of Day 2 in Mekele and going your own way on the evening of Day 7 in Mekele
Point de départ:
This volcano expedition starts and ends in Addis Ababa, the capital of Ethiopia. Your international flights to and from Ethiopia are not included as default since we have participants from all over the world. However, please do feel free to contact us if you would like any assistance with finding the best flight connections for you!
To allow for maximum flexibility for individual participants' travel plans, this volcano expedition can also be joined from Mekele, which is the capital city of the Tigray region of Ethiopia. The airline company that service this airport (MQX, Alula Aba Nega Airport) is Ethiopian Airlines. One can easily book this domestic flight from and to Addis Ababa, Ethiopia´s capital, as there are 5-6 daily connections.
Thème: Aventure, Trek et Volcans: Volcans Actifs - Photographie - Aventure
Durée: 6 - 8 days
Départs:Départs sur commande possibles
24 juin - 1 juil. 2018
1-8 déc. 2018
23 févr. - 2 mars 2019
Prix: $ 3360 ?
Le prix comprend:
- Accommodation in double rooms / tents
- Full board from dinner on the first day until breakfast after last hotel night
- Drinking water, up to 8 liters per person per day
- Professional Ethiopian guide who is an English-speaking geologist
- Private transport in 4WD vehicles
- Experienced 4WD drivers and cook
- Full camping equipment
- Camels, camel drivers and porters to and from Erta Ale´s summit
- Armed Afar guards and guides on Erta Ale
- Flights to and from Mekele airport (MQX)
- Tips for local staff (camel drivers, guards, local guides, ...)