Major mag. 7.6 earthquake - 97 Km SE of Sand Point, Alaska, USA on Monday, 19 October 2020 - information

- Molto forte terremoto magnitudine 7.6 - 97 Km SE of Sand Point, Alaska, USA, lunedì, 19 ottobre 2020

Major magnitude 7.6 earthquake at 35 km depth

19 Oct 21:01 UTC: Primo a segnalare: USGS dopo 7 minuti.
19 Oct 21:15: Magnitudine ricalcolata da 7.4 a 7.5. Profondità ricalcolata da 41.0 a 40.1 km (da 25 a 25 mi). Posizione dell'epicentro corretta di 4.3 km (2.7 mi) al O.
20 Oct 17:56: Magnitudine ricalcolata da 7.5 a 7.6. Profondità ricalcolata da 40.1 a 33.3 km (da 25 a 21 mi). Posizione dell'epicentro corretta di 6.2 km (3.8 mi) al SSE.
23 Oct 16:50: Profondità ricalcolata da 33.3 a 35.4 km (da 21 a 22 mi). Posizione dell'epicentro corretta di 1.7 km (1 mi) al NE.
Update Tue, 20 Oct 2020, 08:38
Quake was aftershock of magnitude 7.8 quake in July
According to detailed calculations of USGS, yesterday's magnitude 7.5 quake was a large aftershock of the M 7.8 quake on 22 July earlier this year.
Tectonic summary (USGS):
The earthquake occurred as the result of strike-slip faulting near the subduction zone interface between the Pacific and North America plates, either within the upper (North America) Plate or within the downgoing (Pacific) slab.
The preliminary focal mechanism solution indicates rupture occurred on either a moderately dipping right-lateral strike-slip fault striking towards the NNW or on a steeply dipping left-lateral strike-slip fault striking towards the east, and therefore that this earthquake was not a thrust event on the plate interface itself.
At the location of this event, the Pacific plate converges with North America to the northwest at a rate of about 64 mm/yr, subducting at the Alaska-Aleutian Trench 100 km to the southeast of the earthquake.
Update Mon, 19 Oct 2020, 22:48
No major damage expected
The quake follows the massive 7.8 quake, which hit the same area on 22 July earlier this year, but didn't cause significant damage, mainly due to the extremely low density of population.
Therefore, we don't expect any major damages from this quake either, although a report mentions that some buildings collapsed in Unga, a small settlement about two miles west of Sand Point.
Download the Volcanoes & Earthquakes app to get one of the fastest seismic alerts online:
Android | IOS

Earthquake data:

Data & ora: 19 Oct 2020 08:54:39 UTC -
Ora locale a epicentro: lunedì, 19 ott 2020 11:54 (GMT -9)
Magnitudine: 7.6
Profondità: 35.4 km
Epicentro latitudine / longitudine: 54.6172°N / 159.6352°W (Alaska, Stati Uniti)
Vulcano più vicino: Stepovak Bay 2 (141 km / 88 mi)
Nearby towns and cities:
97 km SE da Sand Point (pop: 1,060)
147 km SSW da Perryville (pop: 113)
179 km ESE da King Cove (pop: 1,010)
207 km ESE da Cold Bay (pop: 123)
456 km ENE da Isola di Unalaska (pop: 4,490)
569 km SW da Saint Paul (pop: 6,250)
814 km SW da Kalifornsky (pop: 7,850)
1592 km W da Juneau (pop: 32,800)
Weather at epicenter at time of quake:
Few Clouds 8°C (46 F), humidity: 68%, wind: 6 m/s (12 kts) from W
Fonte dati primaria: USGS
Stima dell'energia sismica liberata: 1.6 x 1016 joules (4402 gigawatt hours, equivalent to 3.8 x 106 tons of TNT or 236.7 atomic bombs!) More info
[smaller] [bigger]
If you felt this quake (or if you were near the epicenter), please share your experience and submit a short "I felt it" report! Other users would love to hear about it!
Also if you did NOT feel the quake although you were in the area, please report it! Your contribution is valuable also to earthquake science and earthquake hazard analysis and mitigation efforts. You can use your device location or the map to indicate where you were during the earthquake. Thank you!

Data for the same earthquake reported by different agencies

Info: The more agencies report about the same quake and post similar data, the more confidence you can have in the data. It takes normally up to a few hours until earthquake parameters are calculated with near-optimum precision.
MagnitudineProfonditàUbicazioneFonte
M 7.635 km97 Km SE of Sand Point, Alaska, USAUSGS
M 7.540 kmSouth of Alaska, USAGFZ
M 7.630 kmSouth of Alaska, USAGeoAu
M 7.540 kmSouth Of Alaska, USAEMSC
M 7.420 kmUnited States [Sea], USAINGV
M 7.526 kmSouth of Alaska, USABMKG

User reports for this quake (78)

User reports estimate the perceived ground shaking intensity according to the MMI (Modified Mercalli Intensity) scale.
Contribute:
Leave a comment if you find a particular report interesting or want to add to it.
Flag as inappropriate.
Mark as helpful or interesting.
Send your own user report!
Puyallup WA (2704.7 km E of epicenter) [Map] / Very weak shaking (MMI II) / rattling, vibrating / 2-5 s : My dad and I just got finished shopping at Walmart. I was inside the back of the truck/canopy and felt vibration. At first I thought maybe the car next to us had bass on but the car was no longer there. I jokingly asked my dad if we were having an earthquake. He asked why and I asked him if he felt that. He looked at me confused. I just found out about Alaska’s earthquake. Crazy. | 12 users found this interesting.
Anchorage (930.9 km NE of epicenter) [Map] / Very weak shaking (MMI II) / rattling, vibrating / 20-30 s : Thought I felt a little vibrating as I was sitting in my recliner, then looked at my aquarium and saw the water "sloshing" slightly. | 12 users found this interesting.
961.2 km NE of epicenter [Map] / Weak shaking (MMI III) / rattling, vibrating / 5-10 s : Heard minor shaking wasnt sure what it was at first. Then looked and saw an earthquake happened at the same time. | 7 users found this interesting.
Puyallup WA (2704.7 km E of epicenter) [Map] / Very weak shaking (MMI II) / rattling, vibrating / 2-5 s : My dad and I just got finished shopping at Walmart. I was inside the back of the truck/canopy and felt vibration. At first I thought maybe the car next to us had bass on but the car was no longer there. I jokingly asked my dad if we were having an earthquake. He asked why and I asked him if he felt that. He looked at me confused. I just found out about Alaska’s earthquake. Crazy. | One user found this interesting.
belgium 2820 Bonheiden 17, voordiedonkenlaan (8170.9 km N of epicenter) [Map] / Very weak shaking (MMI II) : I heard it at my house, at 2820 Bonheiden, for about 15 seconds, there are galleries below my house in the woods where I live, and black salamanders, which is a sign of the presence of water slicks. 'water, and the marshy site of the origins, I was surprised at first, and after I had the confirmation, it is an old site, which vibrates like a bell ... The moon does the same. In fact, it was like the roll of a big drum, the vibrations were fine and barely perceptible, as if dully absorbed by the w
1316.3 km NNE of epicenter [Map] / not felt : North Pole felt nothing | 5 users found this interesting. (reported through our app)
Gambell, Alaska (1225.3 km NNW of epicenter) [Map] / not felt : Not felt in Gambell, Alaska | 2 users found this interesting. (reported through our app)
3953.6 km ESE of epicenter [Map] / Light shaking (MMI IV) : I felt it I don't know how | One user found this interesting. (reported through our app)
Hialeah, FL (7044.1 km E of epicenter) [Map] / not felt
971.6 km NNE of epicenter [Map] / not felt (reported through our app)
3953.6 km ESE of epicenter [Map] / not felt : I did not feel it (reported through our app)
3953.6 km ESE of epicenter [Map] / not felt (reported through our app)
2649.5 km E of epicenter [Map] / not felt
McMinnville OR (2772.5 km E of epicenter) [Map] / not felt : Not Felt (reported through our app)
Mill Creek (2678 km E of epicenter) [Map] / not felt (reported through our app)
2764.3 km E of epicenter [Map] / not felt : Not felt (reported through our app)
San Marcos (4066.2 km ESE of epicenter) [Map] / not felt (reported through our app)
2581.9 km E of epicenter [Map] / not felt (reported through our app)
2814.1 km E of epicenter [Map] / not felt (reported through our app)
Terrace (1985.5 km ENE of epicenter) [Map] / not felt (reported through our app)
3754.8 km E of epicenter [Map] / not felt (reported through our app)
King Salmon (487.6 km NNE of epicenter) [Map] / Light shaking (MMI IV) / 20-30 s (reported through our app)
2700.2 km E of epicenter [Map] / not felt (reported through our app)
Bow (2617.4 km E of epicenter) [Map] / not felt
84.4 km NW of epicenter [Map] / Violent shaking (MMI IX) / vibration and rolling / 15-20 s
3027.7 km ENE of epicenter [Map] / not felt (reported through our app)
98 km NNW of epicenter [Map] / Strong shaking (MMI VI)
929.8 km NE of epicenter [Map] / not felt
3706.9 km S of epicenter [Map] / not felt (reported through our app)
ANCHORAGE (921.8 km NE of epicenter) [Map] / Very weak shaking (MMI II) / rattling, vibrating / 2-5 s (reported through our app)
3888.7 km ESE of epicenter [Map] / Very strong shaking (MMI VII) (reported through our app)
931.5 km NE of epicenter [Map] / not felt
Wasilla (962.4 km NNE of epicenter) [Map] / not felt (reported through our app)
97303 (2798.7 km E of epicenter) [Map] / not felt (reported through our app)
742 km NE of epicenter [Map] / Light shaking (MMI IV) / both vertical and horizontal swinging / 20-30 s (reported through our app)
739.7 km NE of epicenter [Map] / Light shaking (MMI IV) (reported through our app)
Trident Seafoods - Sand Point / Very strong shaking (MMI VII) / both vertical and horizontal swinging : I was sleeping and it woke me up. Started as small vibrations/rumbling. As the seconds went by it became stronger and stronger. Dresser Drawers opening and closing, cabinets swinging open. The building was making creaks and thumping noises. | 10 users found this interesting.
561.3 km NE of epicenter [Map] / Light shaking (MMI IV) / 5-10 s : pictures on walls shook, boxes were shaking on table. | One user found this interesting.
Anchorage AK / not felt : I was sitting in my house them 22 minutes after the shake I heard about it and I had no clue it even happened. | One user found this interesting.
I was in Wilmington and I didn't feel it because I (140.2 km ESE of epicenter) [Map] / not felt : I was sleeping and It didn't wake me up because I was too far away.
968.2 km NNE of epicenter [Map] / not felt (reported through our app)
Unga / Violent shaking (MMI IX) : Buildings collapsed | 28 users found this interesting.
Eagle River, Alaska / Weak shaking (MMI III) / 2-5 s : Felt this quake in Eagle River, Alaska approximately 500 miles from epicenter | 9 users found this interesting.
Eagle River, AK 99577 / Light shaking (MMI IV) : This was the longest lasting earthquake I’ve ever felt in the 20 years I’ve lived in Alaska. | 5 users found this interesting.
Sutton / Very weak shaking (MMI II) / 10-15 s : I was working at my computer and could feel the house rumbling. | 4 users found this interesting.
من الجزائر احسست بالخوف عند / not felt : شعرت بالخوف عند الرقم 7.5 | 2 users found this interesting.
Columbus / not felt : Extreme anxiousness and dizziness | One user found this interesting.
Snohomish / Very weak shaking (MMI II) / 1-2 s : sitting in the garage on a wooden chair. A short, weak rocking motion | One user found this interesting.
Eagle River, AK 99577 / Light shaking (MMI IV) : This was the longest lasting earthquake I’ve ever felt in the 20 years I’ve lived in Alaska. | One user found this interesting.
Anchorage 99516 / Very weak shaking (MMI II) / rattling, vibrating / 2-5 s : Quick shaking | One user found this interesting.
Nashville, TN / not felt : Didn’t feel it here in Nashville, Tennessee lol | One user found this interesting.
71457 / not felt
Charleston SC / not felt
Victoria bc Canada / not felt
Miami / not felt : I didn't feel it at all. I live all the way in Miami.
Martínez de la Torre veracruz / Very weak shaking (MMI II) : I delta as if something pull me done to the ground
Reno Nevada / not felt
Miami / not felt
Perryville, Alaska / Strong shaking (MMI VI)
Tacoma wa / not felt
Prince George B.C. / not felt
Anchorage / not felt
Naukati bay, alaska / not felt
Anchorage, Alaska / not felt
Eagle river Alaska / not felt
Anchorage / not felt
Greeneville / not felt
Mile post 102 on the Parks Highway / Very weak shaking (MMI II) / very short
Anchorage / not felt
41215 Ruth Way, Homer AK / Very weak shaking (MMI II)
Yachats or / not felt
Akutan / Strong shaking (MMI VI)
Platinum / Very weak shaking (MMI II) / 2-5 s
Eagle River, Alaska / Weak shaking (MMI III) / 20-30 s
Cherry Point (Canada, 2558 km E of epicenter) : My chair shook at work while I was on the phone. It was very quick. I didn’t think it was an earthquake until I heard it on the news later. | One user found this interesting. (reported through EMSC)
Eagle River (United States, 949 km NE of epicenter) : Eagle River Alaska quake (reported through EMSC)
Anchorage (United States, 928 km NE of epicenter) : Felt trembling seemed like 20secs Muldoon Fred Meyer parking lot (reported through EMSC)
Volcanoes & Earthquakes - new app for Android

Aftershocks of the 7.6 quake 97 Km SE of Sand Point, Alaska, USA, 19 Oct 11.54 am (GMT -9)

More info
    175 km (109 mi) distance
  • 20 Nov 2020 08:08 UTC
    | M 2.5 |
    4.4 km (2.7 mi) depth
    100 km (62 mi) distance

Earlier earthquakes in the same area since 1900

Major magnitude. 7.6 earthquake - 97 Km SE of Sand Point, Alaska, USA, on Monday, 19 Oct 11.54 am (GMT -9)

Map of earlier quakes

Volcanoes & Earthquakes - new app for Android

Piu su VolcanoDiscovery

Why is there advertising on this site?

Support us!

Maintaining the website and our free apps is a time- and cost-intensive effort.
If you find the information useful and would like to support our team to develop further features and get the upgraded ad-free version, consider making a donation (PayPal or Online cc payment).
Planned features:
  • Weather reports
  • Tsunami alerts
  • Design upgrades
Thanks to your past donations, these features have been added recently:
  • Earthquake archive back to 1900
  • Additional data sources
Download and Upgrade the Volcanoes & Earthquakes app to get one of the fastest seismic and volcano alerts online:
Android | IOS
Thank you!
Copyrights: VolcanoDiscovery e da altre fonti come indicato.
Uso di materiale: Most texts and images, in particular photographs, on this website are protected by copyright. Further reproduction and use of without authorization is usually not consented. If you are not sure or need licensing rights for photographs, for example for publications and commercial use, please contact us.