Nevado del Ruiz volcano news & activity updates
Significant increase in the activity of the volcano Nevado del Ruiz, Colombia
Nevado del Ruiz seems to be getting closer to a new eruption. INGEOMINAS reports that during the last week, there has been a significant increase in the activity of the volcano, which can be summarized as follows:
Tue, 3 Apr 2012, 17:0217:02 PM | BY: T
- From March 27, there have been phases of volcanic tremor pulses related probably to deep magma movements
- Since the last week, there were seismic signals interpreted with rock fracturing, i.e. dike intrusions, located west of the active crater. Similar seismic activity was observed prior to the eruptions in November 1985 and September 1989, although this time it is less energetic.
- On March 29 at 10:54 local time, for a period of 25 minutes, there were over 135 earthquakes located south of Arenas crater at a depth of about 4 km.
- From 04:00 am local time on 31 March, there has been a significant increase in seismicity of events associated with fluid movements and fracturing of rock located in the active crater.
- SO2 emissions continue at high levels.
According to the diagnosis made so far, INGEOMINAS expects an eruption in the coming weeks, but smaller in size than those in November 1985 and September 1989.
Links / Sources:
Links / Sources:
Thu, 29 Mar 2012, 10:05
During 19-25 March seismicity at Nevado del Ruiz increased and gas emissions remained at significant levels. Gas plumes rose 2 km above Arenas crater and sulfur dioxide odors were reported by local people. ... read all
Thu, 22 Mar 2012, 07:35
During 12-18 March seismicity at Nevado del Ruiz decreased but gas emissions remained at high levels, with gas plumes rising 2 km above the crater and sulfur dioxide odors noticed by local people. ... read all
Fri, 9 Mar 2012, 17:14
Colombia's Nevado del Ruiz volcano has been showing increasing signs of volcanic unrest and might be close to an eruption, INGEOMINAS reports in their latest special bulletin. ... read all
Sun, 26 Feb 2012, 06:56
Nevado del Ruiz volcano (Colombia), activity update: increase in shallow earthquakes under Arenas crater
From 12:30 hours local time on February 23, a new increase in seismic activity of the Nevado del Ruiz volcano began, characterized by the occurrence of shallow earthquakes associated with fluid movements and fracturing of rock. INGEOMINAS also measured increased SO2 emissions and some changes in strain measurements. ... read all
Mon, 12 Sep 2011, 21:57
The Nevado del Ruiz volcano (infamous for the tragic accident of the Armero mud flow disaster on 13 Nov 1985, killing more than 20,000 people) is becoming restless, as Erik Klemetti points out on his Eruptions Blog. Seismic activity beneath the volcano has increased dramatically during the past months, and it is likely that this is related to new magma rising within the volcano. ... read all