Stratovolcano, volcanic domes 680 m
Dodecanese Islands, Greece, 36.58°N / 27.17°ECurrent status
: normal or dormant
(1 out of 5)Nisyros webcams / live data
| ReportsNisyros volcano books | ToursNisyros volcano eruptions:1881-1887
- hydrothermic explosions of the crater "Micros Polyvotis"1500
- hydrothermic explosions1000-2000 B.C.
- hydrothermic explosions of the crater "Stefanos"5000-10.000 B.C.
- hydrothermic eruptions of the Kaminakia craters15.000-10.000 B.C.
- building of postcalderic volcano domes15.000 B.C.
- effusive eruption of the central caldera of Nisyros ("Upper pumice")25.000 B.C.
- effusive eruption of the central caldera of Nisyros ("Lower pumice")40.000-30.000 B.C.
- effusive eruption ("Kira-Formation")150.000 B.C.
- first submarin eruptionsTypical eruption style:
Hydrothermal explosions, effusive volcano, volcano domesLast earthquakes nearby
Nisyros volcano toursAlmonds, olives and volcanoes
(8-days walking & study tour on the volcanic islands of Nisyros & Cos, Greece)Latest satellite imagesSentinel hub
| Landsat 8
News from Nisyros volcano
Earthquake swarms could indicate eruption near Nisyros, Greece
Tuesday Dec 04, 2012 10:33 AM | BY: VOLCANOBULLETIN
A seismic swarm of 2000 microearthquakes near the island of Nisyros since 24 November could indicate a start of a or coming of a volcanic eruption near Nisyros.
The quakes are located between the area of Simi Island (Greece) and the Bozburun peninsula of SW Turkey: click here for a map and list of quakes
Information is still scanty, but seismic signals from this possible eruption are very similar to those recorded from current volcanic eruptions.
If an eruption is taking place, it would form a new submarine volcano near Nisyros.
No proof has yet been found to prove that an eruption may be taking place. Some sources think the swarm may be tectonic (as the Aegean sea is very seismically active). The VolcanoDiscovery alert will be kept at Green until further evidence is found.
Links / Sources: