Sinabung Volcano Special
- 5 days volcano expedition to Sinabung volcano, Sumatra -
Sinabung's eruption is also a text-book example of an erupting subduction zone volcano causing an ongoing crisis, which local people and authorities have learned to live with on a daily basis.
There is no fixed itinerary - we will move around the volcano as a function of weather, activity, the group's main interests and other factors. This tour is mainly intended for those eager to watch, learn about, photograph or film an active volcano, the processes behind, its monitoring and its impacts on human and nature.
- observe an active growing lava dome
- chances to see pyroclastic flows from safe vantage points
- study the effects of an unusually long ongoing eruption on people and landscape
- learn about how people live and manage a volcanic crisis
- small groups
- experienced guide from our Indonesia team
- accompanying volcanologist from our team (if groups of 4 or more)
Sinabung volcano expedition (5 days / 4 nights)
To maximize chances of seeing interesting activity, we also propose to stay 8 nights in total, combining both tour dates offered.
Day 1: Meeting in Medan airport by noon, transfer to hotel near Sinabung volcano
Days 2-4: 3 full days / 4 nights for observation of pyroclastic flows and the effects of the eruption on the surroundings
Day 5: transfer back to Medan airport
Group size: 2-6
Duration: 5 days / 4 nights
Dates:Custom and group dates
20-25 Sep 2017
Price (p.p.): 1790 € ?
- Accommodation in hotel
- Full board with soft drinks and table water
- All transfers from/to Medan airport, private minibus at disposal
- Accompanying volcanologist from our team
The expedition starts and ends in the Kuala Namu International Airport (KNO) near Medan city on Sumatra, which can be easily reached from other cities in the region (e.g. Singapore, Jakarta, Bali). On request, we can provide domestic flights to/from Medan for you. The transfer to and from Sinabung will take about 4 hours.