Guatemala Volcano Special
8-day volcano tour to Pacaya and Fuego, Guatemala
Guatemala has some of the highest density of active volcanoes anywhere on the planet. The most active volcanoes, Pacaya and Fuego, have been in eruption for years. They often show strombolian activity and since the end of 2020, Pacaya has been having a lava flow, while Fuego volcano is known for its spectacular fireworks.
Join an experienced Guatemalan guide and photographer you for your chance to watch active volcanoes from up close! Get an in-depth experience of the powerful and turbulent natural processes at work and take stunning pictures!
With its colonial heritage, the lively and colorful town of Antigua is the perfect place to end the tour. There is time to explore the Mayan markets, listen and dance to the sounds of Salsa and Merengue, practice your Spanish and get in touch with the friendly and warm Guatemalan people.
- 2 active volcanoes from close: Fuego, Pacaya
- Different viewpoints and extended observation time for each volcano
- Impressive volcanic landscapes
- Colorful towns and markets
- Friendly hospitable people
- Comfortable accommodation and camping
8-day itinerary Volcano Special
Arrival in Guatemala City. Own transfer to the hotel. Free time. In the evening meeting with the guide and other participants at the hotel for welcome dinner. Night in the hotel in Guatemala.
Breakfast in the hotel. Transfer to the farm at the foothills of the Pacaya volcano. Set up a camp and explore the petrified lava flows of 2010 and 2014 that burnt lots of farm fields. Night in tents.
Transfer to Pacaya volcano National Park. Set up a camp. Morning/day/evening/night observations and hikes around the area and walk close to the lava flows. Lunch (or lunch boxes) and dinners in the camp. 2 nights in tents.
Morning observations at Pacaya, transfer back to Antigua. Lunch in a restaurant, free afternoon, dinner in the hotel. Night in the hotel.
Transfer to Acatenango volcano - climb 1200 m to a great viewpoint at 3600 m facing active Fuego volcano. Possibility to climb to the summit of Acatenango this day and then go back to the campsite to lunch and rest and to see the volcano from there. dinner in the camp. Evening & night-time observation of Fuego. Night in tents.
Morning observation of Fuego´s activity from the campsite. Descend back to the start of the hiking trail, pick-nick lunch and return to Antigua. Check in the hotel and free time till the evening. In the evening a group meets for a farewell dinner in a selected restaurant in historic center of Antigua. Night in the hotel.
Breakfast in the hotel. Own transfer to the airport or extension.
The tour starts in Guatemala city and ends in Antigua city. Participants go from and to the airport themselves (as the arrivals of the flights are different). If you want some help with booking a transfer, pleasу send us a message.
Group size: 3-6
Duration: 8 days / 7 nights
Dates:21-28 Mar 2021
Price (per person): $ 1750 €£¥
- Accommodation in double / twin rooms & tents as per program
- All transportation in private minibus or 4x4 vehicles according to itinerary
- Entrance fees to National parks and sites
- Full board (breakfast, lunch, dinner)
- Non alcoholic drinks
- All camping gear (tents, cooking gear, kitchen tent, camping chairs etc)
- Porters for Pacaya, and Acatenango (porters for camping gear + food + 1 porter per person carrying up to 15kg personal gear; extra porters can be hired at extra cost)
- Local guides for security
- Experienced English-speaking Guatemalean guide and photographer during the whole trip