About this app
What it doesVolcanoes & Earthquakes shows the latest earthquakes and active volcanoes on a map and as list.
You can filter the data shown in various ways, e.g. by magnitude or age of earthquakes, the distance from your location, the status of volcanoes and so on.
The original earthquake / volcano data can be found with more detail on www.volcanodiscovery.com. Earthquake data are continuously being collected and updated from various public sources, mainly international agencies such as USGS, GFZ, EMSC and many others (currently more than 25 sources).
- See currently erupting volcanoes on a map
- Complete volcano lists by name / country / activity level
- Get most recent volcano news
- Volcanic Ash Advisories (VAAC) for fast lookup of ongoing / new volcanic eruptions with ash emission
- Recent earthquakes worldwide for up to 7 days (incl. magnitudes 1.5 or higher for many regions)
- Push notifications
- Custom earthquake alerts and lists based on user-defined locations
- Earthquakes near active volcanoes
- Multiple data sources (more than 25 national and international agencies)
- Filter earthquakes according to magnitude, age and distance
- Earthquakes over magnitude 6 for the past year
- Submit / read experience reports ("I-felt-an-earthquake") (if an earthquake near your location could have been strong enough to be felt)
- Show "I-felt-an-earthquake" reports on map along with quake
- Detail information about each earthquake in list
- Smallest data format to save bandwidth
- Offline access with cached data
Frequently Asked Questions & HelpThe single number one question I received from the Android version of the app was:
Why is Yellowstone not on the map?
Yellowstone, Mt St. Helens and many more ARE of course on the map and in the app's database, but:
Currently (as of Jan 2019), ALL volcanoes in the continental US are dormant (green / normal alert level). That's why they are not shown immediately by default (the map would be too crowded otherwise). You need to zoom in sufficiently (map) have your filters set to include volcanoes on green alert (A-Z list).
Help, tipps & tricks - how to best use the appAs this app is now being used in "real life", I will update this section based on feedback and user experience.
Changelog15 Feb 2019: version 1.4
- reverse geocoding to indicate country of quakes (with flag)
- earthquakes worldwide available from mag 2.7 (instead of 3) in free version
- minor bug fixes
14 Feb 2019: version 1.3
- custom alerts (based on user-defined locations)
- custom quake lists
- upgrade option
3 Feb 2019: version 1.2
- tectonic plates on map (optional)
- quiet mode (optional)
- speed improvements
- bug fixes
27 Jan 2019: version 1.1
- push notifications
- proximity quake alerts
- bug fixes
23 Jan 2019
First release (version 1.0)
Discussion & Comments
DisclaimerAlthough we collect data carefully and maintain the application as well as possible, there is no warranty for correctness or completeness of the information and the functionality of the app.
The app has no governmental affiliation and should not be used for disaster prevention, planning and other serious businesses.